Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up purchasing wheels that are 17x9 +35 as I'd seen them on other RSX's and thought the fitment looked better than it would have in +44 (the only other offset available). Planned on ordering tyres, having the fenders modified and wheels fitted at a popular shop, been there before and they have a great team plus they will price match even ultra low prices if we find them.

Anyway I believe I was talking to the owner via e-mail (but its a popular shop with quite a few guys on the floor more than I've seen at most shops) about a pick up service they have where they pick up the car, apply the services you pay for and return the car for an extra $50 - very handy, means I don't have to go out of my way or cut a chunk from my schedule for it as the shop is a fair distance from where I live and work/school however the owner advised he'd prefer I be there for the fitment as he hasn't fitted those wheel specs before and would prefer I be there to give them the go ahead.

I figured it'd pretty much be to have the wheels put on and the fenders modified to the correct clearance for a smooth drive.. Does anyone know what he means exactly? Thanks :)

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Seems like he just wants you to be there so you can confirm how the wheel and tires will fit and probably the look of it too before giving it back to you. The 35 offset would definitely look better than the 45.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply mate! But how many ways will a 17x9 +35 wheel sit? I always thought it was just like.. if its a +35, it'll sit as a +35, if its a +45, it'll sit just like your stock etc

·
Du ma
2,238 Posts
Mhm, you're right about the offset sitting as is. But what I'm guessing is that since he hasn't ever fitted that offset before, he probably wants you to be there so you can approve anything he needs to do if he runs into problems. Offsets will be different on all cars. For example, 17x9 +35 may sit perfectly on an RSX, whereas on another car, the same exact wheel specs could stick out too much or may sit too deep in, rubbing the trailing arm, fender, etc. and cause problems.

But honestly, the specs you purchased (17x9 +35) is very common on our car and you will not run into any problems as long as you roll your fenders, MAYBE camber kit depending how low you are, and don't buy monster truck tires

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers :D Guess he just doesn't want an unhappy customer after all - plus they are price matching KU39's at a very low price and free fitting etc. They charge $50 for fender modification so I'd say they're used ti performing them which is another plus, beats going to a mechanic who just says "the wheels don't fit"..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't heard any complaints about them and they seem pretty top shelf when it comes to customer service, when I asked about fender modification they said it'd be no issue but another mobile company that roll fenders have a huge warning about paint cracking etc :p

Can I just grab some final input on the best tyre size guys? Was it 245/40/17? I'm hoping for a fairly aggressive look.

·
dafuq?
1,583 Posts
You can fit 255s easily with 17x9 +35.

Im on 17x9 +17 front and 17x9 +22 rear with 245/40 and it was pretty hard to fit. (well the rears were easy with camber, but the fronts needed a slight pull)

Pics on my instagram below

·
Pancakes
5,343 Posts
You could just email him back and ask him what he means. Most likely he doesn't want to have a risk of rolling the fenders or something and then you saying "I want my money back because you all did _____ wrong". Definitely not saying you would do that, just saying they are probably protecting themselves.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You could just email him back and ask him what he means. Most likely he doesn't want to have a risk of rolling the fenders or something and then you saying "I want my money back because you all did _____ wrong". Definitely not saying you would do that, just saying they are probably protecting themselves.
I did, think I said it above, but he hasn't fitted tyres with those specs before and wanted my assurance I was happy with the fitment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts