Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 rsx-s and my head went bad. Well im picking up a k20a2 today, and i want to know what would be best/easiest. Because i had a k20a2 transmission i put into it, and it ran. But my speedometer didnt work, and neither did my vtec, well i got that issue fixed but making some modifications to the vss. Well now that the head went bad im wondering what issues im going to come across, and a way around them if i put the a2 head on my z1 block. Or should i just do the fullswap? N how much different are the 2 engines n whatnot

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So now my whole scenario changed. I have a k20z1 with a bad head. And im picking up a k20a3. Can i rebuild my k20z1 with the k20a3? Or make a decent build from the 2? Because from what i hear the k20a3 is trash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 new items by Marvin Gomez those are the videos. One is of me starting the car and it stalling on its self. The other is after i pulled off the valve cover. And someone watched the video told me try doing a valve adjustment and it might actually fix it. And someone else said that it looked like i have valve train damage

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So when i was adjusting my valves(first time ever doing it) i noticed that when i was at tdc it had a little "play" moving up and down, so i just broke the nut loose, and when i used the flat head to adjust it, i pushed downward n loosened until i had the clearance i needed. I really feel like im doing it wrong.

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type-S (99%Stock)
33 Posts
So when i was adjusting my valves(first time ever doing it) i noticed that when i was at tdc it had a little "play" moving up and down, so i just broke the nut loose, and when i used the flat head to adjust it, i pushed downward n loosened until i had the clearance i needed. I really feel like im doing it wrong.
I'm not sure what you mean by play, do you mean in the rockers? They're going to move a little bit as you put the feeler gauge in, but a tiny amount. It's that slack you're adjusting.

Here's a good video of how to do the adjustment
HONDA K SERIES VALVE ADJUSTMENT! - YouTube

But before saying the head is finished, I would check these in the following order:
1- Physical timing of engine at TDC crank-to-cams (verify that the engine timing is actually good)
2- Compression test + sparkplug inspect
3- Camera inspection down each sparkplug hole for piston to valve contact (the little snake cameras are pretty reasonably priced these days)
4- Remove the head and inspect your ports and pistons for obvious damage

Anyway that's what I'd do in your position. I want to say you have a bent valve cause it could sound like that, but couldn't guarantee it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts