Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2002 RSX Type-S (99%Stock)
39 Posts
Nothing comes out obvious at me, but it would be really hard to tell anything from that 1 picture. Try rotating the engine by hand (a ratchet i mean) with the sparkplugs removed and feel if it's catching anywhere, or making strange noises

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Cylinder 4 sounds like something is hitting something else. And also the sparkplug from that cylinder had oil on it. And oil was smudged up to the boot

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cylinder 4 sounds like something is hitting something else. And also the sparkplug from that cylinder had oil on it. And oil was smudged up to the boot
[/QUOTE/]

Sorry I haven't logged on in a while. The oil could be unrelated, but at this point a leak-down test is your next step. I'm thinking bent valve, it's the most common valvetrain damage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When a valve is bent it won't move properly in the guide, so it can get stuck in the open or closed position, or somewhere in between, then your piston is coming up and smacking it. At least that's my guess. Here's a good video showing compression test, and he's got a whole series showing the valve replacement job. Good luck!

How To Find Out if Your Engine Has Bent Valves - YouTube

21 - 25 of 25 Posts