Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if a SC can be used along with a blow off valve to make the turbo Peeshshhhsshs sound??

hehe

Be great of u guys can educate me. =)

thx

G

·
PSSST SOUND???

no, not with a jr/sc but i suppose you could do it with like a vortech super charger? but i don't really see the point? why don't you just turbo charge your car if you want the blow off valve sound.:)

G

·
better yet you can buy a fake blow off valve if you want the Peeessshh sound so bad :shakehea: :shakehea: :shakehea: :shakehea: :shakehea: :shakehea: :shakehea:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well freaka, i'm not going the turo direction because first of all, it coist more and second of all, its more mantinance....i guess those were my 2 major reasons....i just like that blow off sound....sounds dope..=) why is it that the JC SC won't make that sound with Blow off Valve and Vortech can??? Can u explain to me please...greatly appreciated!!!!!

G

·
sorry

sorry I was at work when I wrote that last post and wasn't thinking.....(hmm well that sounds bad huh?)lol

.like mugen power says you could just bye a fake one if you really like the sound so much........although I would think that you could put together a turbo set up for not that much more that a supercharger set up.......

but since you want the super charger and if you go with a roots type like jacksonracing....(what I am getting)...they have a cool sound too....ever heard one????:laughing:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, i never heard one...how does it sound....omg, i am such an idiot make u pronounce the sound out....hehe!!! Just try ur best. And oh yea, wat would be the price for SC or Turbo??? And wats the fake blow off sound part called???? Any benefits or loss from using that part???

Thx

G

·
answer what i can

well I will answer what I can as I really am not an expert on turbo or super just know the basics... as far as the sound of a supercharger a roots type blower will sound somewhere in between a jet (a small one) and sort of a mechanical sucking sound....not a very good description but I never said I was an author.:dontknow:

as for price......I will assume that you are wanting to put this on a rsx? so for a supercharger setup expect to pay anywhere from 2500-5500....depending on who you go to and what type of supercharger you are looking for.......turbo a little more difficult as they don't have too many kits out there for imports...and I also choose the jr/sc set up earlier on so I really didn't look into turbo all that much as it didn't have what I was looking for result wise....so I can only guess that you would be paying about 3000-6000 for turbo set up........I would find someone in this club who has a turbo set up on his or her car and ask them for details about how they went about doing it......

fake blow off valve I would imagine some performance shops would carry some kind of a pressure valve that you could modify to suit your preference...and as far as effects....well it wouldn't help the performance of the car at all I would think anyway.....like I said you had better go and ask someone here who has had more experience with turbos

G

·
I was joking when i suggested the fake blow off valve.. They do make them i believe, but that is sooo *rice*
do yourself a favor and stay away from the fake bov

As of right now, there is no s/c or turbo in production. So you are going to have to wait, unless you want to take the custom route..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
vortechs sc will "blow off" jrsc kind of just whines

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
another person who has seen Fast and the furious one too many time?

I hope you guys know that it will cost like 5k bucks.

You could probably do it w/ nos. have the old nos pressured and go PSSSS out on your hood. cheaper too.

G

·
yea, id definately stay away from the fake ones.. I've seen ones that pretty much just play a recorded sound (very lame) but havent seen ones that use pressure to do it (still lame, but not as lame). I'd imagine that the latter wouldnt be able to create as much pressure as a turbo or sc can, which would probably make it pretty weak. In any case, i consider both to be quite poser-like. I mean effectively your pretending to have parts you dont have, which is pretty much the definition of a poser, atleast in the automotive enthusiast sense..

On a turbo, when you wind the motor up (and hence the turbo) it starts producing the majority of its boost. (I mean after all the faster a turbo/turbine is spinning the more boost it will make) When you change gears you take your foot off the throttle mostly, or all the way. This is right when the turbo is supplying most of its compressed air. All of this compressed air will travel up the intake and nail the throttle plate (which at this point in time is mostly closed) This air then has no where to go except backwards towards the turbo which can really f*ck up a turbo, especially over time. A blow off valve detects all this air about to slam into the throttle plate and vents it out into the atmosphere (and thus making a sound as it uncompresses itself through a small orifice)

The bottom line is, if you wanna hear that sound, dont be a poser, get a turbo or a centrifugal supercharger (ie vortech). It may seem like a lot to pay just for that sound, but it comes with a gob of horsepower too! =) In any case I dont believe any mass produced kits are out for the rsx yet so you're gonna have to wait.

G

·
A JRSC or roots blower will not give you that "pssh", but it does have a very cool whine or hiss to it.

A Centrifugal SC's blowoff sounds more like an exhale...like a low, grunt. Whereas a turbo BOV is the "pssh" that youre talking about.

So, to repeat everyone elses response, if thats the sound youre looking for, you have to get a turbo.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
fake bow off

I met this dude with a under-hood apparatus that made a blow-off sound through an external speaker. It was linked to a pill type tachometer light. When he hit 7k rpm.

vvwwweeeeeeepsssshhhewwwww!

It was so funny I crapped my pants

·
Retired
13,573 Posts
I know this will sound stupid but my AEM CAI on my Civic sounds like a bov when I let off the throttle.

It is very faint, and nothing like a real turbo... but it sounds pretty cool.

I should see if I can somehow record the sound for everyone.

·
^^^given slave name
18,454 Posts
ok this has got to be the funniest post i have read in a while. I laughed for a good 10 minutes. Anyways, I could be wrong on this but in theory, even with a turbo you wont be able to hear the BOV even if you have one, which i dont think you would. If you think about it a BOV valve is suppose to expel excess gas pressure, now if you are running a really big turbo or two turbos (V6 or bigger engine uses two turbos) then you would need one b/c you are running like more than 15 psi and you dont want the excess pressurizing you motor and tranny. With an RSX you are already running a lot of compression (11:1 I think, my Celica was 11.5 stock) then you are not going to be able to boost it over 7 psi or you are going to run into problems with heating and bent valves. anyways 7 psi is not enough boost to create a lot of excess gas and with 7 psi the motor is usually going to suck it into the intake and push it into the motor. Now for all of the TFATF fans out there the Supra and Rx-7 were running two turbos with a lot of boost >15 psi and creating a lot of excess pressure, that is why you could hear the BOVs when Dom or Brian let off the gas. Now i know that if you running all that compression out of an RSX you are already got a lot of pressure in the motor and boosting it will just create excess over like 5-6 psi but, the compression and valve clearance in the RSX is a lot shorter than in a Supra with a lower stock compression ratio. So i think my theory is right. It would be nice to have someone to argue with though so anyone with their own theories (who think im wrong) please...go for it :D

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
accutally u can get the vortech to make the PEESSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!.. sound too.. it was made like a turbo.. BUT!.. its accutally a supercharger.. ever seen one?.. looks like a custom turbo kit..

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
uh.. did you know that a small turbo spools faster so the BOV will be louder and easier to blow off.... its the larger turbo's that u wont hear the BOV that good.. so some people throw 2 BOV's on .. kinda ridiculous

1 - 20 of 24 Posts