Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ASSISTANT MASTER MECHANIC
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKay my Boosted Brothers.. Need some help here.. I got a hold of some spark plugs ----->IRIDIUM IX NGK # BKR6EIX-11 (3764) to be exact.. these are supposed to be some high quality like 7 dollar spark plugs... Will these spark plugs work in my Type S and how much do I gap them? I'm email this question to NGK also...

·
K series tuning liberator
2,524 Posts
i would say they are probably already gapped at .028-.032 out of the box. Keep the gap on the .028 side.....will help prevent combustion knock.

·
6,734 Posts
I gapped them to .037 but that is me. I am thinking about taking them down to .030. Leave them for now and do you own testing. Just remember, the colder the intake air charge and the lower the plug tempature the less chance of detonation! Win, win overall!!

·
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So then these plugs are good and will work with boosted dc5 with out hurting the car??

·
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the email I got from NGK...

Hello,

These spark plugs won't work in your application. They are one step hotter
then the factory spark plug and could cause pre-ignition problems.

Jon MacQuarrie
Technical Customer Service Representative
[email protected]

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would recommend sticking with the NGK V-Power #7 #8 #9 or #10 plugs. Any other plugs have not been tested with our setup. If you try another plug and experience any issues switch back to the V-power plugs.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
I would recommend sticking with the NGK V-Power #7 #8 #9 or #10 plugs. Any other plugs have not been tested with our setup. If you try another plug and experience any issues switch back to the V-power plugs.
What would be an ideal setting to gap them at?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
PasSNuBye said:
This is the email I got from NGK...

Hello,

These spark plugs won't work in your application. They are one step hotter
then the factory spark plug and could cause pre-ignition problems.

Jon MacQuarrie
Technical Customer Service Representative
[email protected]

This is right on...

I just put the NGK Iridium IX BKR8EIX (2668) pre-gapped at .034 (and left them at that gap since you want a smaller gap for FI). The higher the number for NGK plugs, the COLDER the plug. In other words, a stock heat range plug would be BKR7EIX. The BKR6EIX that you have are TOO HOT!! Do NOT put those in your turbo RSX. One step colder is best for our application. I have Cyber stage I.

·
Still tuning....
3,836 Posts
rsx type s 81 said:
I have a set of ngk v-powered heat rating #8. What should I gap these plugs at? will they even work?

yes those will work fine...i think the part number on those is 7173 and you can pick them up for about $2.95 each. I always gapped mine at .029-.032, but to each his own. i think that cybernation is running the -7 plugs, but i cant find them around here so i just go with on colder and do the -8. no problems so far with them.

http://www.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/40906/R5672A-8

thats where i order mine from...fast shipping and usually have them to me within 3 days or so.

·
TeH Brown Ninja Turtle
1,238 Posts
kracker said:
yes those will work fine...i think the part number on those is 7173 and you can pick them up for about $2.95 each. I always gapped mine at .029-.032, but to each his own. i think that cybernation is running the -7 plugs, but i cant find them around here so i just go with on colder and do the -8. no problems so far with them.
does it matter how much boost you run when you are pickiing out plugs?...that may be a dumb question like considering kracker is obviously making more power then me can i still use the -8 plugs?...

·
2,524 Posts
go with the BKR8EIX iridium IX from NGK. You could use the 7 to be on the safe side, especially in winter during cold weather. Colder air is denser, causing higher combustion temps from the denser air, the 7's will help dissapate the heat from the combustion chamber, releasing more heat into the coolant system VIA the head. This would be a safer choice for winter

In short, the BKR8EIX IX plugs will be good for you now. BKR7EIX for winter use of you deal with really cold weather.

·
TeH Brown Ninja Turtle
1,238 Posts
sweet deal thanks alot teamxrsx i will go ahead and order the -8 bc winter is gone down here in TX and summer is so here lol

·
2,524 Posts
yes, summer is here!!! finally!!!! .:fawk:.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts