Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i remember reading about this happening to others so i know i am not the first; one of the two 'grips' that allow the window to be bolted to the regulator has come off.

what kind of adhesive do i need to stick it back on, is super glue sufficient or do i need something more buff? all i have at home right now is super glue but if it's not strong enuogh, i can wait it out till i go to work tomorrow and find some real industrial shit.

edit: well i decided to 'risk' it and went ahead with the super glue. if it breaks off in the next week ill update the thread for anyone bold enough to search in the future.

·
Registered
631 Posts
i have the same problem..but my own is the foam thing that sticks on the bottom of the window got worned out cuz tried to install a window visor and it fucked it up..anyone knows wat i can do to replace the foam padding.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yeah I just posted and had the same problem. Got mine fixed at a glass shop for $85. Works great now and I got to keep my OEM honda window with lifetime warranty tint!:thumbsup:

I'm not exactly sure what procedure they used, but I think they:

1.) Scraped off the old epoxy and cleaned window
2.) Primed window
3.) Used some type of plastic-glass adhesive to rebond.

Any auto glass shop will be able to do it for you but I'm sure you can do it yourself if you want to mess around with it.

Super glue might work for a little while but is by no means the best solution..

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I just posted and had the same problem. Got mine fixed at a glass shop for $85. Works great now and I got to keep my OEM honda window with lifetime warranty tint!:thumbsup:

2.) Primed window

Any auto glass shop will be able to do it for you but I'm sure you can do it yourself if you want to mess around with it.

ya i know; i wanted to take that old epoxy junk off and use some pimp double sided tape the machine shop guys have at work. ill see how long this holds then ill take it off and let those guys handle it. im not paying for this shit.

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the superglue finally failed on me. lasted longer than i expected, close to 4 weeks.

ANYONE who knows the material on there (the putty stuff), what is the best/easiest way to remove it?

·
Registered
22 Posts

2.) Primed window

any glass shop as diamond auto glass???

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

2.) Primed window

do you have any further information about what they used? was it more like a glue or more like a silicone epoxy putty type of thing? im gonna try some silicone epoxy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Was this issue resolved? I have the same problem and don't know where to find the correct adhesive though Ive heard urethane adhesive for glass might work?

·
johnnymoto365
2 Posts
I have tried everything, gorilla glue, and every type of epoxy from pep boys, nothing seems to last longer than 6 months, the next thing i am going to try is made for metal roofs, it comes in a roll, it is used when you over lap metal or tin, its real sticky and glues the two pieces together when the sun heats it up, might work, i have tried to take apart two pieces of tin, and its a bitch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Have you guys tried 3M window weld? I just heard of it that auto glass shop use it to weld the windshield down(since preludepatrick mentioned auto glass shop). It's pretty solid when it dried.

I haven't tried it yet and I have no idea it would work or not. Just throwing some idea here.

good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah the 3m worked for me, it was a little expensive since they sell only in large tube size and I only needed about less than 5%. If you cant find anywhere to buy lmk I'll sell the other 95% to you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is apparently a common issue. I took mine to my mechanic yesterday After reappying epoxy twice already (lasts 5-7 months). Acura says the only way to fix is to get a new window ($185 for the window). My mechanic found Pontiac was having the same problem and switched to a some other polymer which is being put on mine today.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Have you guys tried 3M window weld? I just heard of it that auto glass shop use it to weld the windshield down(since preludepatrick mentioned auto glass shop). It's pretty solid when it dried.

I haven't tried it yet and I have no idea it would work or not. Just throwing some idea here.

good luck!
window weld is a polyurethane i believe, that will not be the best thing to use..

what you CAN try is Gorilla Glue,,its thick and tacky, not hard and brittle like super glue.

OR you can try heavy duty industrial adhesive from home depot

·
I don't know you
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol, i never fixed it. i just try not to roll the window down. when i do, i have to use my hand to keep it on track. nice and ghetto. hate my fucking pos car these days.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ok, Ive dealt with this issue for about 2 yrs now. The epoxy Honda uses is nearl impossible to find anywhere EXCEPT for on a NEW WINDOW and no onw wants to bay 2 bills for 2 little pieces of plastic that failed. First thing you need to do is remove the 10mm bolts on the clips and take the window all the way out of the door. Mark the exact placement of the clips on the window with a sharpie or lightly score it with a razor blade, lightly sand the glass where the clips go (after removing the factory epoxy stuff) and clean it off...the best epoxy for this is JB Weld, cheap, strong, and effective. Ive tried every glue out there whether it was from a parts house or a glass store. 3M window weld is for windshield installation and WONT work....if you correctly mix the JB Weld and let it set right the first time it will last for a while...ALSO lubricate the ribber part of the window track in the front of the door where the window tends to stick but the best lubricant to use is dry finely ground graphite you can buy it at Home depot for a few $ WD-40 will work for about a day and then dry out the rubber...i did this about a year and a half ago after trying everything else and its been flawless since! good luck! hope this helps

·
Registered
38 Posts
yea i just had this problem yesterday and its sooo annoying..
when i tried rolling the window up it goes off track.. cuz of the glue not holding..
i went to put silicon glue and let it dry a whole day and night and it still does that..
i guess ima have to go to a Auto glass place..
so you guys say any Auto Glass place can fix that problem..
cuz i dont wanna replace my whole window because of those to Clips...

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is apparently a common issue. I took mine to my mechanic yesterday After reappying epoxy twice already (lasts 5-7 months). Acura says the only way to fix is to get a new window ($185 for the window). My mechanic found Pontiac was having the same problem and switched to a some other polymer which is being put on mine today.
...This failed today.:firemad:

·
Lurks Moar
1,061 Posts
...This failed today.:firemad:
I got some stuff called quiksteel at pepboys today to fix this problem. It is epoxy putty w/ steel for strength and gets really hard when it cures. Its supposed to bond to everything including glass and plastic. I'm also gonna rough up the clips and the glass a bit to hopefully improve the bond. Hope it works.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts