Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my Type-S, I have begun the search for a great tint job. I've read all the posts about problems and solutions to the problem of covering the dot matrix area at the top of the hatch glass. It seemed that some installers tinted over it successfully while others would not. Some even suggested putting black vinyl over that section.

I did some online searching and found this incredible site:

TintDude.com

This site is all about window tinters helping each other. There is a whole section about the best way to successfully cover the dot matrix HEREhttp://www.tintdude.com/dot-matrix.html. The best solution from reading this information plus some of the message forum, in my opinion, is the O-Glue or glue-stick method. The Pro-Bond solution sounds good too, but may be less forgiving. If your installer says that it is impossible to get the tint to adhere within the dot matrix area, refer them to this site and find another installer.

So now that I know that the tint really can be successfully applied over the dot matrix, I now must find a tint installer that is experienced in the latest techniques. I intend to call a local installer that is listed in TintDude.com's Tinters Registry to find out which technique they use.

Second issue: What tint to use. Most of the installers here in Orlando advertise Llumar tint film, but I have heard that the 3M Scotchtint film is more scratch resistant. However, no one advertises that they use 3M film for automotive use. I plan on a conservative 35% tint on the sides and back. Comments? Opinions?

·
6,981 Posts
The installer I went to tinted over the dot-matrix display and did a fairly good job at it. It is noticeable from close up, but nowhere nearly as bad as people here made me think it'd be. The place I went to brought up using some sort of glue as an option to make sure it sticks, but he also said that there was a possibility (more like a guarantee) that the glue would turn white within a year or two and would once again look like shit.

G

·
i just got my windows tinted.. it looks so much better.. i got a life time 30% tint that is just a little bit darker than the legal 35%.. (actually the legal tint is 32%).. it looks a lot darker because i have all black interior.. i didn't tint the dot matrix section.. it looks alright.. can't see any difference in color unless you are up close.. i suggest you don't tint the dots.. if you really want it the same color you can ask the tint guys to put a tint strip on the outside..

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Thanks for that handy Web site, nahikian. I'm assuming you've also already checked out Auto Window Tinting?

What's wrong w/ putting a black vinyl strip to cover the dot matrix? I heard it can blend in nicely w/ the rear window tint, regardless of what tint strength it is.

I'm also very close to getting a tint job. I was quoted $140-145 for the three rear windows. (In NJ, it is illegal to tint the front windows. :( )

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just got my RSX-S tinted friday. It looks incredible. 19% reflective mirror tint on a satin silver car looks so good, especially when you get sky reflection and the windows look silver.

It cost me $160, and the guy wouldn't give me his usual lifetime warranty and made me pay cash since it's illegal tint. That included all 5 windows, a black strip of vinyl on the outside over the dot matrix antenna, and a 6 inch strip of tint at the top of the windshield.

I can roll my windows down, starting tomorrow. Hopefully I can bum a friends digi-camera to post pics of the tint within the next day or so.

yomama

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beowulf7 said:
What's wrong w/ putting a black vinyl strip to cover the dot matrix? I heard it can blend in nicely w/ the rear window tint, regardless of what tint strength it is.
I actually asked a tint installer about the possibility of covering the dot matrix with a strip of black vinyl after he had shown me an RSX that he tinted where the tint stopped at the dot matrix. It wasn't too noticable in the rear view mirror from the drivers seat, but looking back at it, it looked unfinished. He indicated that he could add the vinyl strip at an additional cost, but he didn't seem too enthused about it.

But once I found that there are installers that know how to successfully install tint on the hatch glass in one piece, including the dot matrix, why should I settle for less? While I haven't seen a tint installation where the black vinyl was used, I have to believe that the one-piece tint over the entire hatch glass would look more professional.

I hope to find time to start calling installers this week!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The place I had it done used the black vinyl over the matrix dots and it came out clean. So clean that unless you're looking for it you dont really notice it.

-dB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts