Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
RAGING MACHINE
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiance's car tint is starting to turn purple and I was wondering if anyone knows how to strip it off and make it look like there was never any tint there? The reason why is because we are going to get it re-tinted at a better place then before.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
I bet they'll take the old tint off for you. Otherwise cancel your dates and set your tivo to record because you're in for a long day of scraping windows :p

·
RAGING MACHINE
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet they'll take the old tint off for you. Otherwise cancel your dates and set your tivo to record because you're in for a long day of scraping windows :p

They will take the old tint off for us but I don't fill like spending an extra $150 for them taking it off when I can do it myself. Plus that is an extra $150.00 that I can spend on my car. LOL!!!

·
#BUCN
5,673 Posts
go to your local detailing shop, the one i work at charges $30 to take it off, and it takes about 20 min.

edit: wow i didnt read that theyre gonna charge you 150 to take it off??? wow. strokin u there, idk what to tell u. we use some really smelly shit to take it off, if u take a big whiff of it, you get a nose bleed, no joke. kinda smells like ammonia.

·
Wheres the Bulkhead?
354 Posts
Goo Gone, It works wonders

·
Registered
113,845 Posts
Don't razor blade the back window, it will kill the defroster.
it can...but if you are careful and dont cut the wires then you will be fine

·
RAGING MACHINE
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what about a 50/50 mix of the dyed ceramic??

·
PWP_K20Z1
502 Posts
Do not use any ammonia based window cleaners that is what causes the tint film to turn purple. My previous car had tint on it for 6yrs and never once did it turn purple, and it was 20% just black, no metallic type of tint.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
Do not use any ammonia based window cleaners that is what causes the tint film to turn purple. My previous car had tint on it for 6yrs and never once did it turn purple, and it was 20% just black, no metallic type of tint.
I'm not sure about that. At my old job I used ammonia based window cleaner all the time, even on tinted windows, and nothing seemed to go bad.

·
RAGING MACHINE
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know that her tint much of been the cheapest shit out there on the market because we never used windex on it or anything other than water to clean them and the tint has not even been on the for two years. with it already turning purple.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I agree with Duffman, get a lifetime tint if they offer it. I got that and it is well worth the extra money. And lifetime tint is an actual type of tint, not just a warranty you pay extra for. Good luck with whatever you do!

On a side note, ask the tint shop to put a black vinyl over the dot-matrix area on the top of your back windshield. That way, the little dots won't look white from the outside. They should know what you mean when you ask about it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts