Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm thinking of not driving my baby (RSX) during the winter and I was wondering if there were any steps I should take to protect it from the brutal winter.

I will be getting the car cover but other than that, what should I do?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
423 Posts
All the things that you'd normally do if you don't plan to drive your car for a long time, regardless of weather, will apply here.

First thing that comes to my mind would be to save your wipers by separating the wiper blade from the windshield (also for rear hatch window). Get a small piece of cotton towel, fold it several times, and stick it between the wiper and the glass. In case you ask if you can just lift up the wiper arm completely like when you're washing the car, the answer is no. Apparently that exerts too much force on the springs under the wiper arms so that they will no longer return to their original position as nicely as before.

Second thing is leave either window open a bit.

And if I remember correctly you can also let go of a bit of air in the tires. Some people also suggest disconnecting the battery.

I forgot where I got these from (long time ago), but that's what I did to my old Integra before when I was away from home for a couple of months. I didn't do the last 2 things though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How about water coolant and wiper water? Do you need something special?

I am new in Canada from "warmer" lands.

·
Registered
423 Posts
cadiaz said:
How about water coolant and wiper water? Do you need something special?
No, as far as I recall.

The coolant and windshield washer (at least the ones you can buy in Canada) are meant for under freezing temperatures anyway so I wouldn't worry about them.

·
Registered
824 Posts
you have to raise the car so the tires won't develop flat spots. or you can drive the car onto some piles of left over carpet stacked thick to prevent tire flat spots. also, give it a fresh oil change, disconnect battery, but since your car is new i don't think you need to do the last 2.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts