Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1928 Posts

·
PPG Krew
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Parts list attached at bottom of this post. It includes most of the major parts I purchased, with the exception of little things that I bought after the build started.

Updates on PG. 6 (4-12-08)

Few more pics I found on PG. 7

Updates on PG. 9 (4-19-08)

Updates on PG. 11 (4-27-08)

Updates on PG. 12 (5-10-08)

Updates and Vids on PG. 14 (5-18-08)

Few More Pics and Vids on PG. 17 (5-20-08)

Small Update PG. 18 (06-03-08)

Dyno Charts and Vids PG. 20 (06-05-08)

New Wheels Arrived PG. 25 (06-23-08)

New Wheel/Tire Setup Mounted PG. 27 (07-12-08)

Added Vids From June Meet PG. 29 (07-23-08)

Added My Turbo RSX Movie (There will be more movies added to my Streetfire profile monthly) PG. 33 (08-07-08)

Added a Few Pics From A Cruise w/ a Friend PG. 34 (08-18-08)

Made Another Vid Today PG. 36 (09-02-08)

Added Vid From CO Meet and A Few Pics PG. 37 & 38 (09-08-08)

New Goodies! PG. 39 (09-14-08)

Pics at Bandimere PG. 40 (09-19-08)

Fuel System Diagram PG. 47 (10-28-08)

COTM Page PG. 51 (10-28-08)

New Photoshoot Pics PG. 53 (01-12-09)

New Photoshoot Pics PG. 56 (01-29-09)

AEM Uego Preview Vid Due To Boredom PG. 57 (02-03-09)

AEM Uego Install Pics/Procedure PG. 57 (02-10-09)

Video Of 2nd Gear Blowing Up PG. 58 (03-04-09)

Video Of Launch Control PG. 59 (03-05-09)

Pics of 5 Speed Install PG. 60 (03-09-09)

Tied Up Loose Ends and Added A Couple Goodies PG. 61 (03-20-09)

Dyno and Wingless Pics PG. 63 (05-20-09)

Mugen Stuff PG. 66 (06-16-09)

Mugen Sides / Rear and '06 Decklid Spoiler Painted PG. 67 & PG. 68 & PG. 70 (07-17-09)

Video Of My New Muffler PG. 69 (07-29-09)

PPG Bullhead Straight Cut Gears PG. 72 (08-23-09)

Hey fellas,

Well most of you know I started working on my build a couple weekends ago on spring break. I'm running a PeakBoost GT3582R setup and I'm going to attach a list of everything purchased as far as parts for the build.

Now that I'm back in school, I only have time to work on the car on the weekends. So far, there are lots of things I have run into at this point in the build and honestly I still have probably three more weekends worth of work, so I figured I would share those things in this thread as well to make this install easier for those of you planning to go with PeakBoost.

My first tip being that this kind of job is extremely tedious and there are days where you will work all day and feel like you have nothing to show for it, and other days where you work for only a few hours and have tons to show for it. Most people do not realize, including me before this, that most of the work is not what you see in someone's bay or show-off thread, but it's behind the scenes. Anyways, onto some pics.

Some of my parts:

RC1000cc Injectors & Golden Eagle Fuel Rail:

Resistor Box & MSD 3Bar Map Sensor w/ Weathertight Connector:

Gauge Pods:

Buddy Club Turbo Timer w/ Security Feature:

Gauges & Oil Sandwich:

CC Stg4 Clutch & Innovative 85A Motor Mounts:

Fuel System Stuff (Hoses, Fittings, Pump, Fpr etc etc.):

Intercooler (PWR Core):

Parts List Attached at Bottom...

Attachments

·
PPG Krew
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Turbo Kit (Dump Tube, Downpipe, and Chargepipe not pictured):

Bov & Wastegate:

IC Piping:

Manifold:

Welds:

PeakBoost Test Pipe:

Turbo:

My Roommate/Best Friend Blowing It:

:rotfl: He actually got it goin' pretty good!

·
PPG Krew
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
First night about to start on it:
(We did the Innovative Mounts and the CC Stg 4 clutch the day before but I forgot my camera so I don't have pics of the clutch or mount install)

First thing we did was the MSD Map Sensor. After the fact I went to start up the car and it ran like shit and could barely rev. Changed the Map settings to Motec 3Bar settings and all was good.

Ended up taking off the entire front end somewhere in there during the map sensor install:

Once I got it running again I backed it out (With no power brakes lol. Had to use the brake booster to feed the map sensor vacuum since I didn't have any hoses or tees at that point. I went and stocked up on a ton of stuff the next day) and then moved it over a stall to put it on stands and remove the N/A parts that night.

Engine bay as it started, nasty and a disaster:

The next day I started by taking off the old fuel rail assembly. Put on the Golden Eagle rail and the RC 1000cc's. They injector clips are on in this pic but not wired up yet..you can wire them into the old injector clip wiring in whichever order you want, it just has to be the same for all four of them.

Battery is removed in this pic but left a nasty mess of wires in the area that we later went back to clean up. We took apart all the wires in the bay and loomed them all and did a couple bracket modifications to secure them better since you take off alot of plastics and existing brackets for line re-routing.

Then I took off the factory radiator and drained the coolant in the process. Pic shows the Koyo dual core radiator in comparison to the stock radiator. I got Samco hoses too but only mounted the bottom one until I get some other stuff done in the bay so the upper one isn't in the way.

Koyo Mounted:

·
PPG Krew
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Mounting locations for the resistor box (which is a pain) and map sensor (2 silver bolts each in the middle left):

Also, this is the guide I used to wire in my resistor box: http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13397

I will have more picutres of the mounting locations this weekend.

Took out the A/C line that runs over the bay and also tapped the intake manifold for vacuum to my map sensor where you see the brass fitting right behind the throttle body. I re-routed lines somewhere in this whole process as well...you can see in the picture I ran the vacuum to the map sensor under the frame and I did the same for the brake booster and the evap line. I ran them that way under the frame and then all the way around the right side of the bay and up to the fire wall.

Went to put fittings on the fuel rail and also do my fuel pressure regulator and realized that the straight end fitting that works on the stock manifold doesn't work on the rbc at all. Absolutely no clearance and actually rests on that throttle plate.

So I went and bought a 45 degree fitting at a local performance place.. I also covered those studs with vacuum caps...cleans it up a bit. More than you would think.

This pic shows where I mounted the regulator as well as my vacuum block. I'm putting a sealed battery in the trunk which is nice for opening up the space in the bay there. Also, since I ran the brake booster around that right side of the bay, the frame right there where the vacuum block is, is right along where it ran, allowing my to run it straight through. This is the frame that becomes visible when you take out the battery and the metal piece below it where it used to sit.

In this pic you can see where I loomed up all the wiring along the main harness there at the motor...that green clip was actually a clip that held on the harness back where the header used to be. So when I removed the metal bracket on the side of the motor visible in the picture, it left a bracket open right there which I then filed down and used in conjunction with that green clamp that used to be holding the harness to the firewall by the header, and it helps hold the harness and all that other wiring right along there. If you compare this picture with the first engine bay picture from where it started you can really see how much it was cleaned up just from looming wiring and rerouting hoses. I also had most of my heat wrapping done in this picture.

Oil pan tapped (this is also a bitch, and another one of those things where you work for hours and have nothing to show but a nipple in a pan........)

Pic of my work bench custom made from a Samsung box (I sell tvs :laughing:)..

·
PPG Krew
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Couple car pics on the stands (Yes I know I need a new license plate frame, it doesn't go with the Honda badges :():

Miscellaneous stuff accumulating (RH is gone now..but a hell of a lot more oem parts have seemed to show up in that pile)..

Then I finally got to do something fun:

Don't have any pics of the intercooler install...must have been too excited..but most of you have seen how to cut the front bumper support to make room for the intercooler.. You will have to cut more off of the right side to accomodate for pipes..I just cut until the weld started (you will understand when you see it) and it ended up being perfect. You also have to cut out grooves so that you have access to the bolts on the tabs. Then after the fact go back and seal up where you cut with some epoxy or w/e so it doesn't rust.

This is really random but when you relocate your heater/coolant lines...one of them changes size halfway through. It goes from 3/4 to 5/8. It's the one that meets the firewall over towards the passenger side. The 5/8 end is at the firewall but it's 3/4 at the motor. So we put in a 90 degree fitting into the 3/4 hose and cut off a piece of the 5/8 end from the original factory hose and mated it that way. This also solves another problem at the same time...if you want to use the existing bracket that was holding it before you extended it for clearance, adding the fitting ends up preventing it from kinking which it was wanting to do on me. And by using this existing bracket it keeps it away from the steering rack...last thing we all need is a coolant line busting.

·
PPG Krew
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Next thing I did was heat wrap my manifold. In addition to the wrap you need stainless steel clamps to hold it on. (They will blend in after you paint it with the silicone heat coating.) My reccomendation for this is to where gloves because the shit has fiberglass in it and is wicked itchy if you don't...I ended up having to go take a shower because of the stuff. Also, I originally bought black wrap...BUT I realized after that it's smarter to use the cream colored stuff because with the black stuff you can't see where you have painted when you put the coating on it. With the cream colored wrap, I could see where I had painted and how thick it was. There are some REALLY weird angles when you go to paint it that I know I would have missed with black wrap.

I let it sit overnight to allow the wrap to dry since you have to soak it in a bucket when you wrap it...and it was still sopping in the morning SO I BAKED IT!

Only at a couple hundred degrees..

Taped it all off in preparation for the heat coating to seal it:

And when it was done, it looked like black wrap, plus I knew I had coated everything and all the coats were even. The showing metal was also given a nice black finish to blend in.

Manifold and wastegate installed, you need a new exhaust manifold gasket obviously and there are a couple brackets at the firewall that need to be removed (at least in my case) to squeeze this thing in there.

One last note on heat wrapping, where all the pipes converge...it is a bitch to keep the wrap somewhat fluid looking and not wrinkle like crazy. There is not way around it..it is what it is, you are trying to wrap something rectangular around something spiraling inward... so try to keep wrinkles on the underside where they won't be seen.

Next we installed the lower intercooler pipes:

The one that comes up to the turbo is going to have a very hard time fitting through the tiny tiny hole in the inner fender, so I would bend the edges underneath to allow for a bit more clearance or maybe even dremel the hole somewhat larger and put some padding on the edges. When you put the pipe through it literally touches both sides of the opening...for some of you this may not matter but with 85As...it vibrates like a non-stop earthquake and I don't want rubbing issues.

·
i got killer fish
1,187 Posts
congrats, cant wait to get mine:shady:

·
PPG Krew
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Next thing we did was test fit and clock the turbo into position. The filter in the picture is a green filter but the flash washed it out...I had it on as well to see clearance with the chargepipe that still has to go in as well as the upper Samco hose. Pictures do not do justice to how massive that turbo is...it's close to the breather filter while also being about an inch and a half away from the metal casing around the strut tower on the back..and within an inch of the fuse box on the front...

Also, the bolts that come with the kit aren't even close to long enough where the turbo mounts to the manifold...which isn't really a big deal cause I have spent money on what feels like thousands of bolts and things since this started lol. Just fyi, maybe someone will get Ken to include better ones lol.

This is way to close for comfort and I think I'll have to get a blanket for it..

That is where I'm at right now...I'll have updates every weekend. Next weekend I plan to get the boost controller, turbo timer, and all the other gauges and pods in the car and get the wiring through the firewall while I still have access to it since the snail is not permanently bolted up...and then I'm gonna bolt up the snail for good and get the upper two intercooler pipes in as well as the downpipe and dump tube on since I will probably have them at the end of the week. Hopefully I can get the gauges wired too. And then the following weekend I can do the fuel setup.

·
The Architect™
9,176 Posts
Nice steve. I thought that you were going to wait till next week till everything was done lol. I see you couldn't wait.

·
PPG Krew
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice steve. I thought that you were going to wait till next week till everything was done lol. I see you couldn't wait.
Nah I was just waiting to make some good progress before hand. But yeah next week the kit should be finished up and hopefully most of the electrical stuff like gauges, bc, timer. Then just fuel system left.. :woot:

I figured out after I got off the phone with you how that IC pipe winds through there but yeah it's dangerously close and rubs bad on more than one side so I'm gonna give it some extra space by widening that hole a bit...or bending down the tabs. Your picture was right as far as how they run. :thumbsup:

Love the pics , I cant wait to get my shit!
I know man aren't you starting yours up soon? Hopefully some of my hiccups will help you out.

·
GT30R > Traction
6,033 Posts
great thread, I'm going to look at this again whle I am installing my fullrace!!!

Reactions: jk5one3

·
PPG Krew
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks good man! what battery you goin with?
Not quite sure yet. Something sealed obviously so I don't get gases in the cabin...Braille makes alot of sick ones...I like the CF one alot. :giggity:

·
PPG Krew
12,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:drool:

how much did this setup run you?
The list of all the parts is attached at the bottom of the first post, but I think it all adds up to around 10k when you sit down and add all the figures on the list up. That's not including money you spend after you start the build and money for a tune...and in my case I also need new tires.

Ya the Braille is very nice. Where do you plan to locate it at?....reason I ask is b/c I see you have your FPR in the battery area....
Trunk. :thumbsup:

Makes it so much nicer not having it in the bay. You can see I have my vacuum block mounted where it used to sit too.

1 - 20 of 1928 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.