Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your input whether you're an all around ASE mechanic or someone who doesn't know what a lathe is.

Description of my DIY auto shop:

A place where you can...
  • use our lifts to do anything from oil change to engine swap
  • mount your own tires
  • have a room dedicated to electrical maintenance
  • paint your car
  • have a room dedicated to spray painting
  • store your parts for free as long as you plan to use us for the install
  • use to ship large items to reduce residential fees, as long as you use us for the install
  • use our flat stalls for maintenance not requiring a lift
Additionally I will offer other services like
  • free towing to my shop
  • free advice from an ASE mechanic
  • the option to leave it to the pro's if you can't finish it (for a price)
  • free online access to your car specific manual
  • the option to have us diagnose your car but you repair it
  • late hours and open on Sundays cause we know you work your a$$ off from 9-5pm during the week
Also, if you started a job and forgot to buy an essential part at your local parts store, we'll be glad to make a parts run for you for free!

stalls with lifts are $12.50/hr
flat stalls are $9.50/hr

Now that you have a feel of what I offer, please think about how many times you've thought to yourself, "man I wish I had a garage to do (your mod) in, and give me some feedback on whether or not you would use my shop. Feel free to give some constructive criticism and/or ideas.

·
I f**ked Spaz's sister
855 Posts
dont know where u are from, but i know where i live there are a couple of DIY garages. they are usually pretty busy.

·
Drive slow homie.
132 Posts
Advertising and marketing are the key. If you get your name out there and it spreads through the right market of people then I think it would do just fine. If your marketing sucks you might just be sitting there fapping all day waiting for customers.

Personally I like the idea and the services you have listed are all beneficial, seems like its worth doing.

·
I wish I had more money
780 Posts
Start up costs are going to be high, alignment racks/tire machines/lifts are all VERY expensive, however, I wish I had a place like this near me.

·
Like a sir
1,814 Posts
Anytime you start anything up it's costly. You need to calculate how much you are going to invest and the rest to finance? How much do you need to make to pay bills and still live? What type of business? LLC? Sole? Inc.? How many peeps do you need to hire? How will you advertise and where will your business be located?

Secondly, have you researched what other DIY shops charge and how much they are or are not making? Call some in different states and ask about their prices and income. You may not be able to see financial statements, but the owner/s can give you some damn good advice.

·
Like a sir
1,814 Posts
Do you have to be a certain age to use the facilities? 18+ and signing release forms? It seems like a lot of free and cheap stuff, can you actually make money off this? Even if you're one of those people that's like, "I do it cause I love it." You still have bills and salaries to pay

·
0 Posts
You are talking about a co-op. They are common on other industrial arts fields.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I would love that more that you know especially if the shop supplies all the tools

·
Don't pump gas or fists
1,196 Posts
I would LOVEEEEEEEE this so much! You should do this in Central NJ :D I always need lifts and a warm place to do some work and i NEVER have the proper tools. Great idea, you should do it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anytime you start anything up it's costly. You need to calculate how much you are going to invest and the rest to finance? How much do you need to make to pay bills and still live? What type of business? LLC? Sole? Inc.? How many peeps do you need to hire? How will you advertise and where will your business be located?

Secondly, have you researched what other DIY shops charge and how much they are or are not making? Call some in different states and ask about their prices and income. You may not be able to see financial statements, but the owner/s can give you some damn good advice.
I'm still doing more research and basically, the rates I provided are in between the lowest and highest I've seen around.

·
Sacked!!
2,031 Posts
These places are good if you know what you are doing, have all the tools you need, and get in and out. Otherwise the cost to you will add up very quickly. They are all over the country but i have not really heard of any that were very successful. And I suspect in California they would fail miserably. The red tape and cost of running an auto repair facility here is ridiculous. Plus all it takes is one lawsuit from some idiot who drops his car off of the lift and its all over....

·
I f**ked Spaz's sister
855 Posts
These places are good if you know what you are doing, have all the tools you need, and get in and out. Otherwise the cost to you will add up very quickly. They are all over the country but i have not really heard of any that were very successful. And I suspect in California they would fail miserably. The red tape and cost of running an auto repair facility here is ridiculous. Plus all it takes is one lawsuit from some idiot who drops his car off of the lift and its all over....
thats y u make every single person that comes there sign a waiver that the shop is not held liable for their stupidity.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts