Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
^VTEC ADDICT!
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im thinking about buying a type-S and just sending the brand new engine to hytech to have them do all the shit to it, the hytech 2.0 liter kit is $9700 installed, $7700 uninstalled. they also have a 2.3 liter kit that has 300+ whp, and 200lb-tq for $13,700 installed, $11,700 uninstalled. i asked the guy at hytech which kit he would rather have, a supercharger/turbocharger, or the N/A kit they make, and he said the N/A kit because the powerband is alot smoother. he also said the when cruising around town he shift from 1st-3rd-6th, because the car has so much touque that he doesnt need 2nd-4th-6th.he also said on slicks th car should run a 12.7(2.0 liter kit), and the (2.3 liter kit should runs low 12's on slicks. he also said it redlines at 9,200-9,5-- RPM's.so basicly you bay 0k-33k for an M3 killer.so what do ya guy/girls think. would u pay $30,000-$33,000 for an rsx that runs 12.7???? i need opinions here tough decision!

·
Banned
7,563 Posts
well yeah its an m3 killer deal but also u have to add that ud need a stronger clutch to hold all that power so thats another 500+ installed

plus i would never pay them to install my shit cuz half of it u can do ur self

·
I Must Break You!
3,634 Posts
...but yeah that sounds cool if you did all that, but would you want to go a few thousand miles first?

·
Back in Black
10,777 Posts
I don't know if you need to spend that much. It's rebulding your current engine, which leaves you with a lot of parts you can only see off cheap. How about selling your entire engine and then installing a fully built replacement? Someone is already selling crated engines, with a 2.4 liter block, destroked to 2.3 for higher revs for less then 6 grand. You could probably get 6 grand for your new S engine... so that would be far more cost effective.

Also, hondata just posted 254 horses with a K20A with bolt ons. For a typical dyno it would be closer to 244 horses. That will put you very near 12.9 seconds. The key ingredient here is the K-PRO ECU.

All you need to convert your engine to a the K20A would be the affordable cams and the manifold. The 0.5 compression you wouldn't have would be lost power, but not much. Then bolt on a CAI, a good race header, and a good cat-back. You should be very very close to 12 seconds.

Of course you can just blow a huge wad of money and do better, like with hytech. But I could hang with 240 horses and a nearly stock engine.

Like someone pointed to, you don't all of that power without an upgraded tranny and bigger tires. There's money and more reason to go with the K20A or crate engine.

·
I Must Break You!
3,634 Posts
Yeah, you could get everything needed if you get the crate engine. Unless your trying to spend 13g's, thats a good way to go

·
Registered
576 Posts
i would definitely wait for Prototype Racings development on the K-series engine because 254 whp with just k-pro/header/intake is just crazy... get some crazy aggresive cams and port polish with that and you will pry be running more power than Hytech's 280 and pry for half the cost. As far as i know the header will be around 1600 (estimate), k-pro is 1,000 i think, and the intake i have no idea but im gonna say 400. So 3,000 and you have yourself 230 whp engine (prototype racing uses a Type R engine, so you would type r cams to run 250whp). Im stressing to wait... there are great things around the corner for the k that many people wont ever be able to imagine in their wildest dreams!!!!

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
if i was going to spend 13000k on just engine mods alone i would at least WAIT a little while!! just recently there has been some interesting developments by hondata and prototype racing...you should wait to see whats coming up soon becuase if u go w/ that hytec kit u may end up paying a LOT more than u need to...just a thought tho :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Okay RealTera... lets say go with my protoype racing idea (hondata/header/intake) and get some sick cams, that's what 4 grand... ($25,500 RSX) so we would have a car that will pry make 270whp because we all know that all the power is in the cams. That's pry good for a high 12 second car. Then spend 1000 dollars on clutch and flywheel. Then for suspension go with a Type R rear sway bar ($100) and a mugen front and rear strut bar and the Mugen sports suspension (so mugen is like 1,500). Then get a nice brake system for like 1500 and 17" wheels for another 1500. So that puts us at $31,100. I guess you might want some sticky tires too so we will roughly estimate $800 on those. So, 31,900 and the average person pry cant install cams or the clutch/flywheel so we will throw out a 1,000 there for install. There ya go, $32,900 that will nearly destroy every car out there in the straightaway, still tear them apart in the twisties, and also be able to stop on a dime.

·
Registered
218 Posts
check this listeners... i talked to edo and he will do the job for you for a whole helluva lot cheaper... TALK TO EDO... I am getting an awesome $75,000 job here real soon and I plan to have him build a 350hp RSX 2.4 engine ready with 150hp shot NOS. I am aslo going to have the itb installed also. My brother is getting the 05 corvette as soon as it comes out and I want to represent. ALL MOTOR BABY. Besides the sound it makes it absolutely wicked.

·
Vendor
224 Posts
mkrsx2003 said:
im thinking about buying a type-S and just sending the brand new engine to hytech to have them do all the shit to it, the hytech 2.0 liter kit is $9700 installed, $7700 uninstalled. they also have a 2.3 liter kit that has 300+ whp, and 200lb-tq for $13,700 installed, $11,700 uninstalled. i asked the guy at hytech which kit he would rather have, a supercharger/turbocharger, or the N/A kit they make, and he said the N/A kit because the powerband is alot smoother. he also said the when cruising around town he shift from 1st-3rd-6th, because the car has so much touque that he doesnt need 2nd-4th-6th.he also said on slicks th car should run a 12.7(2.0 liter kit), and the (2.3 liter kit should runs low 12's on slicks. he also said it redlines at 9,200-9,5-- RPM's.so basicly you bay 0k-33k for an M3 killer.so what do ya guy/girls think. would u pay $30,000-$33,000 for an rsx that runs 12.7???? i need opinions here tough decision!
Let me put is this way. 8000-11000 US dollars better make your car faster than 12.7. My girlfriend's EP3 runs 13.0 with stock k20a. EP3 and RSX weighs around the same. NuImage Autosport's kit 2.3-2.4 in an ep3/rsx will run low 12s if not 11s. Just remember the name of this company. They have a Pro car (all motor)coming out using the k20a powerplant.

·
Registered
864 Posts
My freind is buying the Hytech 2.3L kit. We are goin to put it in a drag civic. I dont see why it wont run 11's. And we are thinking of goin with the ITB's and 100 shot of NOS. Maybe 10's with the light car on drag slicks, you never know. He already has a JUN crate B18C running 210whp and doing 12.5. He has only driven the car drag 5 times. I think he can do 12.3 with it.
Basically, we are getting the hytech engine, cause it is going to be very reliable with very reliable parts. and whatever developments prototype and hondata are doing well i can use the k-pro and tune my engine better than a few little bolt-ons and cams, because the engine can take a lot more.
I am not worried, sure it's expensive but thats the way it is. and we will be able to keep up with future results of the k20 potential. Because we have the block basically bullet proof and i highly doubt there are goin to be any better headers and intakes (maybe very slightly better), so all the power can be brought out using the ecu. Its all about the ecu with these new engines. We are so used to just backing down timing with knocking the distributor a couple times till its just right. NOW you use a computer. Its funny, but all the better, and very precise. I am very excited about the developments honda has made. as welll as hondata. and of course hytech. lol

BTW: its not half as expensive as the JUN engine we got. That was $20,000 without header and intake manifold.

·
Negative Zero
2,667 Posts
if your willing to put down the money do it man
people bitch and cry when they see someone putting lots of money into something regardless what the project is
if you think its worth do it

1 - 20 of 35 Posts