Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Acura RSX Type-S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I recently purchased a mint/unmodified 2005 Vivid Blue Pearl Type-S with just a shade over 91,xxx miles. I searched for over 3 months to specifically find this spec in this condition. There have only been two owners: the original owner in Texas which is where it resided until 2016 and accrued 88k miles, and the second owner who garaged it in Minneapolis where I drove over 14 hours round trip to purchase it early last month (before the chaos). The second owner drove it from Texas to Minneapolis which ended up being a large chunk of the miles that he ever put on it. Now that I finally have it, it's most likely staying with me forever. The CARFAX is clean as well - no accidents or damages ever reported. The OEM leather seats wore out over time as they tend to in these cars, so the previous owner swapped out all the seats (including the rears) for the base cloth seats which I'm told are somewhat preferred. The rear wiper was also removed with a Password JDM delete plug. Other than that, no other modifications are present on my example. Safe to say, this car is somewhat of a gem, and I plan to keep it that way.

There were only three issues with it when I purchased it:
1) The window tint was long overdue for removal. No telling how long it had been on the car, but from the looks of it, probably since the first owner had it at least.
2) The wheels were in ROUGH shape. All four wheels had been curb rashed to hell, and some of the clearcoat was peeling on one of them.That same wheel that had the peeling clearcoat also had a different center cap. It was almost undetectable, but it was a plain flat-faced silver cap with a black "A" on it whereas the rest of them had the "A" recessed into the cap.
3) There was a small door ding on the drivers rear quarter panel.

A couple weeks ago I finally corrected all these issues. I had the tint professionally removed which took up an entire day. I had all four wheels completely repaired and refinished in a slightly brighter metallic flake silver. And, I got the dent pulled out professionally by a family friend. The RSX currently sits beside my new Lotus in essentially showroom condition.

Now that it's finally perfect I want to complete it by getting the complete factory A-Spec kit professionally installed. I don't plan to do any more modifications or upgrades to my Type-S and wish to preserve its OEM-ness as much as possible. That's why I would like to source a genuine A-Spec kit for my car if possible.
After doing what I feel is a good amount of research and reaching out to some supposed "sellers", I'm feeling like I may be out of luck. Everything I'm wanting is discontinued. If anyone knows of any way to get these parts or has any they are selling please respond to my post.

:::TLDR:::

I bought an 05' Type-S. I brought it back to showroom condition. I want a full genuine OEM A-Spec kit (f/r lips, sides, wing, little lip spoiler that fits under the wing). Let me know if you're selling, know anyone selling, or any other options that you think might be applicable to my situation.

Some pics of it the day after I brought it home:
DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

Before:
IMG_7914.jpg

Repair in process:
IMG_8015.JPG

After:
IMG_7997.jpg

·
Registered
2005 Acura RSX Type-S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She’s a keeper!
You should see it now - with literally 0 help from this forum btw. I don't even think this WTB post got approved until like over a month after I made it. Whoever moderates this needs to hand over the torch to someone willing to put in more effort.

·
You John Rambo?
412 Posts
Nice work man, when I hear someone’s keeping there RSX forever I just go into the golf clap in my head.
Your post I don’t believe is in the correct spot to get the most attention. Go into (RSX parts) then the ( want to buy or trade) post there.

·
Registered
2005 Acura RSX Type-S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nice work man, when I hear someone’s keeping there RSX forever I just go into the golf clap in my head.
Your post I don’t believe is in the correct spot to get the most attention. Go into (RSX parts) then the ( want to buy or trade) post there.
Ah okay. I'm terrible about figuring out forum layouts so that's on me I guess. But still, I would log into the forum weeks after I posted this and it still said my post was pending. Before this ever even got posted I had already found out all the information I needed to about how and where to buy the genuine OEM kits.

First, I researched and found all the part numbers for each piece:

Front Underbody Spoiler: 08F01-S6M-XXXX
High Wing (without mini decklid): 08F02-S6M-XXXA
High Wing Kit: 08F02-S6M-XXXB
Rear Underbody Spoiler: 08F03-S6M-XXXX
Side Underbody Spoiler Kits: 08F04-S6M-XXXX

The "XXXX" corresponds to paint codes. After researching every paint code offered in '05-'06 I was off to my local Acura dealership. My local Acura dealership was able to run an internal parts search to see if there were any of these part numbers out there sitting in Acura dealership warehouses across the US. By doing this I uncovered the last three remaining Acura dealerships in the country with any leftover new A-Spec stock available.

As of June 18, 2020 the availability was as follows:

I ordered my front in Milano Red and sides in Vivid Blue Pearl from Gillman Acura. They absolutely raped me on shipping from Houston to central Illinois. They likely knew what they had and knew they were one of the last dealerships in the world with leftover new A-Spec stock. I ordered my rear from Nalley Acura which charged exponentially less in shipping charges even though Georgia isn't right next door to Illinois either. I'm talking Gillman charged me almost $500 to ship the front and sides, and Nalley charged me $40 to ship the rear. When talking to Gillman they told me that Nalley must have made an error and as soon as the FedEx/UPS truck came to pick up the box they'd reject it because the item wasn't entered correctly on the shipping label. That never happened. I received my rear within the same week I ordered it. The only real difference in shipping was I did notice the boxes that the front and sides came in were in way better condition and clearly handled more carefully than the box the rear came in - but not $200+ per box more carefully.

As for the wings - I knew there was very little hope of finding an OEM mini decklid laying around somewhere so I figured if I had to I would either buy a rep one or cut my stock Type-S one on the sides so that it would clear the high wing. After looking into how the cutting option would look I decided it wasn't for me. It looks pretty terrible and is easily the more half-assed option. I purchased a rep mini decklid off eBay unpainted for ~$70 and you'd never know it. It's ABS plastic - just like OEM, and it fit perfectly. Next up was the high wing. I knew finding a used OEM one of these would be easier but still not easy. However, all of the reps I found were either 3 piece wings (2 uprights and the middle section), had an integrated third brake light (which was cool but not an OEM look), or had a groove running along the top side of the middle section. The wing had to look original though so those were not options for me. Finally, there was the expensive but physically identical Seibon carbon fiber wing that I could buy and just paint over, but that wing was over $400 before paint. I started heavily looking into buying a used OEM wing off Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace etc. All I could really find on there were people who wanted to overcharge me for their beat up old used wings with no mounting hardware that I'd still have to repaint. I wasn't sure what to do. Then luckily I stumbled across a rep wing on eBay made from ABS plastic that had no groove, no third brake light, and was all one piece. It was unpainted but I figured what the heck - it was only ~$95. That was the best decision I've made throughout this whole process. What a score! You could never tell my high wing isn't OEM. It's perfect. I was telling a fellow RSX owner about this purchase a while ago and he tried searching eBay to find it and purchase one for himself. The eBay seller had sold out and wasn't sure when he'd get more of them in stock. Man, I really lucked out there.

Anyway, that's the long and drawn out version of where I bought my parts from and how I ended up sourcing everything. Since my purchases, I've helped quite a few other owners get A-Spec kits from these dealers as well. I'm unsure what the dealer stock is like as I type this in October, but I'm sure it's a lot less.

·
Registered
2005 Acura RSX Type-S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I had to copy that table from Excel. I guess the table function on the forum doesn't work - the one moderator needs to fix that too probably lol.

·
You John Rambo?
412 Posts
That’s cool, sourcing parts is part of the joy IMO. I got my second RSX last year, and I right away found a local dealership that had discounted A-spec front and rear. Just needed to drive a hour away from me, so I didn’t have the crazy shipping. I know one of the pieces had a box twice the size as the other, so that’s maybe why the crazy freight charge you had. Good luck with you car, looks amazing. You should do the ( Power Folding mirrors ) on it. Installed on mine couple weeks ago, came out awesome.

·
Registered
2005 Acura RSX Type-S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That’s cool, sourcing parts is part of the joy IMO. I got my second RSX last year, and I right away found a local dealership that had discounted A-spec front and rear. Just needed to drive a hour away from me, so I didn’t have the crazy shipping. I know one of the pieces had a box twice the size as the other, so that’s maybe why the crazy freight charge you had. Good luck with you car, looks amazing. You should do the ( Power Folding mirrors ) on it. Installed on mine couple weeks ago, came out awesome.
Were those a mirrors factory option in the US? I really just want to keep it OEM. Also, I found no joy in sourcing those parts lol. Had I known it would have been such a hassle I might have held out to purchase one with the kit already installed. And, that freight charge was literally just because the guys at Gillman were being pieces of shit 😂 The box for the rear was the same size as the one for the front. Admittedly, Houston is about 250 miles farther from me than Marietta, GA, but they're both quite far from me. There was no reason they couldn't have shipped it using the same method as Nalley did.

·
You John Rambo?
412 Posts
Yeah, more used hard to find parts. The Mirrors are actually a JDM option for the dc5 Integra. Not sure if it’s only a Type R option or not. There’s a great write up on how to do it, and you can find your color power mirrors for sale I believe. I had to cut more wires and switch my mirror caps. I’ve only seen the mirrors in blue, white and black and red. Type R colors options, I believe.

·
Registered
2005 Acura RSX Type-S
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's so many little things like that that I'd like to do that I almost can't count them. I really like the non-USDM side marker lights. And I'd like that push button starter mod that's similar to the S2000 setup. And I know all VBP DC5Rs came with blue carpets, blue door inserts, and blue Recaro SR4s. I could go on, but I really want to just keep it a stock, reliable daily for the most part. Whenever I think about dropping money into mods for this I think about how much I could do to my weekend toy with that same money and don't.

That said, I will be installing either a K Pro or Hybrid Racing short shifter assembly at some point. The cable shifter in this car is the worst feeling shifter I've ever used in my life. I've heard doing that swap makes a world of difference. And I'm willing to sacrifice a little OEM-ness for driving pleasure when it comes to that.

·
You John Rambo?
412 Posts
If you want more of a stock look, you can get the Mtec springs that help with shifter feel and maybe a Hybrid CMC.
The MOD bug can be a SOB.

·
You John Rambo?
412 Posts
If you want more of a short shifter, Blox I think Still makes one that is hidden. Like the old Comptech style. And I don’t think you should combine the Mtec springs with a short shifter, from what I’ve seen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts