Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2002 Acura Rsx 5 Speed Base. I recently had a misfire in cylinder #3 and I changed all of my spark plugs and ignition coils. I also had a Vtec system failure and I changed out the Vtec solenoid. My belt was old and dirty so I changed that as well. The only code I had left was p0325 (knock sensor) I have the piece it’s just I’m not sure how to change it. I was driving and my CEL started flashing signaling a misfire. I went to autozone and got the codes checked and this came up (see image). Does anyone might know what this is? I believe it can possibly be the ECU. I’m only 16 and this is my first project car, I have a daily at home, but this is just annoying and stressful. I had so much plans for this car but these problems keep interfering.
image.jpg
8ADE1FD4-DEB2-4698-A1FA-753FDF16B447.jpeg

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Your car is too low and destroyed the ECU. Ok, just kidding.

The P1607 would indicate your PCM (ECU) is shot. Did you use OEM coils and the correct spark plugs? Could any of the work that was performed have damaged or shorted harness wires? Is the alternator outputting way too much voltage?
Unless you can borrow a known good ECU to test, you may have to buy a used one. Most likely will need to get the immobilizer reprogrammed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I went to autozone and bo
Your car is too low and destroyed the ECU. Ok, just kidding.

The P1607 would indicate your PCM (ECU) is shot. Did you use OEM coils and the correct spark plugs? Could any of the work that was performed have damaged or shorted harness wires? Is the alternator outputting way too much voltage?
Unless you can borrow a known good ECU to test, you may have to buy a used one. Most likely will need to get the immobilizer reprogrammed.
Yea, I went to autozone and bought the double tipped Bosch iridium spark plugs but for the ignition coils, I bought them from a high rated amazon seller.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Too late now but you should have just swapped the number 3 coil to a different cylinder as a test. If the misfire follows, its the coil. If it stays at cylinder 3 it could be the plug, valves, or harness. Best to stick with the recommended spark plug for your engine and avoid gimmicks like multiple electrodes. Anyway, looks like the ECU is the major problem now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what
Too late now but you should have just swapped the number 3 coil to a different cylinder as a test. If the misfire follows, its the coil. If it stays at cylinder 3 it could be the plug, valves, or harness. Best to stick with the recommended spark plug for your engine and avoid gimmicks like multiple electrodes. Anyway, looks like the ECU is the major problem now.
So what do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You have to ask yourself what could cause all those codes. Its unlikely that all those parts would fail at the same time. The ECU seems suspect, but here are a few options to check before you swap out the ECU.

-Check for any blown fuses
-Check for missing or corroded grounds (there is one by the passenger motor mount, and one by the front motor mount on the transmission.)
-Check the wiring going to the coil packs, cam sensors, and crank sensor.
-Swap the ECU. I would probably remove the amazon coil pack(s) and measure the resistance (make sure its not a straight short) of that new VTC solenoid before I plugged a new ECU in though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts