Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... as I gently lifted the dipstick up I heard a KA-PLOK, PLOK sound as if something went falling down into the engine bay. I checked under the car to see if any oil was leaking or anything was laying on the ground, but didn't see anything.

I am really concerned because a few weeks ago as I drove it out of Acura after they changed my oil, I headed down the highway and heard a flopping KA-PLUNK, PLUNK sound under my car for about ten seconds and then quit.

I'm calling that dealership tomorrow. I'm actually freaked out about driving the car now... damn

Anyone have any ideas as to what this shit could be? thnx in advance

·
:)
15,563 Posts
left a tool under ur engine bay? sockets!?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wondered the same thing - but why would it happen when all I did was slowly pull the dipstick up...?? :questionm

·
i eat f00d
5,890 Posts
hmm check to make sure your drain plug is secure not over-tightened
make sure the oil filter is snug and tight on there..
make sure you have enough oil in the car after its been running/warmed up.
make sure the oil is clean.

but its likely they left a tool/socket..

i dont think they would be dumb enough to have dropped anything inside where you pour the oil in.. but if this were the case.. youd know immediately id imagine..

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Kinda strange....

Was there oil on the dipstick? Is the drain plug secure? This is exactly the reason I DIY...

pretty hard to judge your issue not having heard the noise myself.

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
hmm check to make sure your drain plug is secure not over-tightened
make sure the oil filter is snug and tight on there..
make sure you have enough oil in the car after its been running/warmed up.
make sure the oil is clean.

but its likely they left a tool/socket..

i dont think they would be dumb enough to have dropped anything inside where you pour the oil in.. but if this were the case.. youd know immediately id imagine..
yeah, if something dropped in to your engine where they pour the oil in instead of kaplonk you would of heard a KA-BLEWIE!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
i say if the dealer did the work dont touch anything and just drive it. fuck it blow the engine and then they have to put a new one in :)
hastle hastle hastle.

there are sooo many problems with that including downtime of car, engine not being installed properly, them not warranting it b/c you're supposed to check your oil at every fillup... on and on and on.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
Avoid the dealershis at all costs.

5 out of 100 stories with them are good ones.

The 95 others show how incompetent they are.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I recently just started doing it myself. That way if anything happens, it's my fault.....plus I can put Mobil 1 synthetic in my car and do it myself for cheaper than I can take it somewhere else and have them put the cheap stuff in.

·
del
7,360 Posts
Nobody posts when they get a good oil change, now do they? Sometimes you get outstanding service, but the times that gets reported are rare. I'd say for the most part dealership service isn't that bad, people just only post about the bad times because their cars get screwed over.

But I would call the dealership immediately, tell them about the problem, and ask them what you should do. If they say bring the car in, ask them if you should drive it. If they say to drive it, then drive it. If you blow the engine, their fault and you get a loaner TSX for a while.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Nobody posts when they get a good oil change, now do they? Sometimes you get outstanding service, but the times that gets reported are rare. I'd say for the most part dealership service isn't that bad, people just only post about the bad times because their cars get screwed over.

But I would call the dealership immediately, tell them about the problem, and ask them what you should do. If they say bring the car in, ask them if you should drive it. If they say to drive it, then drive it. If you blow the engine, their fault and you get a loaner TSX for a while.
true that.... I'd say with the amount of dealership oil changes done for members on this board only 5% are effed... I'd say 95% are OK (probably not the best, but OK).

I remember when I got my car (certified used) the first time I went to change my oil I couldn't hardly get the drain bolt off... I had to get my dad under there (probably 150% stronger than me :eek: ) and even he had a hard time with a breaker bar. We both agreed that the drain plug SHOULD NOT have been that tight.... then the oil filter was extremely tight too... I decided to DIY forever (and I really really like my dealership service, they're excellent!)

Then I had to have them change the oil for a consumption test... I told them about the first time I changed it and let them go ahead and do it. Funny enough, the next change after when they did it the drain bolt was at 33ft/lbs and the filter was only about 1/2 turn past tight.... lol.

I think if you try to get to know one of the service tech guys (I know one of the head service techs) on a different level than customer/service guy, they'll be a bit nicer to you... I personally like Dave @ Acura.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts