Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm interested in getting a hid kit in the near future and was just looking at my options. I've been interested in the xenon depot kit, but it is a bit pricier than the kit on www.hidplace.com, which sells it for $340, as opposed to $550. Would there be any real difference to getting the cheaper one at hid place over xenon depot? because if it is really worth the extra $220, i'm willing to pay it, but wouldn't mind saving it for something else :D .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Im happy with my xenondepot kit! The projector headlamps makes this HID kit look twice as better!

Attachments

·
-------------------------
5,640 Posts
I hear bad things about the quality of the Mchulloch kit. I'd go with XenonDepot.

fabpaul...maybe it's the angle of that pic, but the glare makes your kit look like crap! You don't want yellow and pink from the HID's......

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
if your going to buy a McCullochs kit than get it from superhids.com...there is a standing offer for CRSX members:

SHS said:
Hello everyone,

This is Chris Zex and I would like to speak on the behalf of the www.superhids.com team.

...as an unmitigated limited time offer if anyone is willing to purchase more kits or have friend’s who are looking for HID kits at a great price. Yourself or your friends’ just need to mention ClubRSX and we will supply them with a no questions asked discount, ranging ~$10-$15 off our listed web-prices. I assure you that the wait time will not be an issue for future orders.
here is the thread:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=2365264#post2365264

·
one.4our.3hree
9,128 Posts
judging from the pics on hidplace it seems to be all color and no light

·
5,640 Posts
I just looked at their site, and just the fact that they offer 8000 and 10000 K kits is a good indication that you're dealing with complete garbage.

·
fob, DDS
3,365 Posts
omg they are not even satisfied with 8000K.
they have 10000K!
Just like speeddemon said... garbage..
get something between 4000~6000K if you want your lights to be functional.

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
I bought the 5300k kit from them.

·
e90
115,535 Posts
SpeeDemoN said:
I hear bad things about the quality of the Mchulloch kit. I'd go with XenonDepot.

fabpaul...maybe it's the angle of that pic, but the glare makes your kit look like crap! You don't want yellow and pink from the HID's......
Funny how you "heard" it is crap, do you have a set of McCulloch HID's? Probably not, so until you try it don't spread negative words. I and about a dozen members have McCulloch and no problems.

·
5,640 Posts
Did I say it was CRAP? No. I'm not spreading anything. It's great that you have no problems.

Visit www.hidforum.com .... They know a thing or 2 more about HID's than we do. There are reviews of the McCulloch kit, and more people complain about the quality rather than praise it.

Fuck man, do your own research. I'm happy that you have no problems. However, I just pointed out that there have been many complaints about the quality of their kit. Not even CLOSE to the quality of authentic Philips or Hella.

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
well those posts on there are relatively old, and they posted taht some of the McCulloch's ballasts were forgeries. If you look at the pic of the ballast housings that they had, they look nothing to the ones that were on McCulloch's old site. The ones we ordered from SuperHIDs are the ones listed on McCulloch's old site. I have them and will be installing them this weekend. I'll do an official review with pics and such, and I guess over time will tell the quality of these things. If they suck, trust me, I will REALLY make it apparent and scream bloody murder on here that they'll suck if they crap out on me. LOL

·
5,640 Posts
The main problems as reported by owners of the McCulloch kits:

1. Lack of relay will eventually fry your stock headlight wiring over time. This can be avoided by making a harness with a relay.
2. Ballasts have been known to fail, sometimes explode.
3. Burners (bulbs for the newbies) are generic, and seem to die quickly.
4. Lack of good customer support, very difficult to get warranty replacement.

·
Governor of Calilfornia
3,352 Posts
Why will the lack of relay cause the wiring to die? Is the stock harness just not made for that much power?

I'm going to guess that you mean to put a relay on the stock wiring harness, and wire up a cable from the battery to the relay to power the headlghts then?

·
5,640 Posts
Kremlin said:
Why will the lack of relay cause the wiring to die? Is the stock harness just not made for that much power?

I'm going to guess that you mean to put a relay on the stock wiring harness, and wire up a cable from the battery to the relay to power the headlghts then?
The stock wiring isn't made to handle the power load that the HID's put on it while first warming up. When the hid's are fully warmed up, they actually put less load than the stock halogen...but it is the start up that will eventually kill your stock wiring over time.

You are correct about the wiring to the battery, it will save your stock headlight harness.

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
hmm... I'm installing mine this weekend. Can you explain how I would go about wiring the relay? I don't quite get what you're saying.

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
nevermind... searched google and found a good description and a wiring diagram for the McCulloch ballasts:

Hey guys, I just did this to be on the safe side. I used 16 gauge wire, fuse holders from Kragen, soldered all the connections, used factory OEM spades (from a spare JDM ecu harness), insulated ring terminals, an 87/87 - 30- 85 - 86 relay, heat shrink tubing, and some other cool stuff...took me a while, but thats because I'm a perfectionist.

As long as you use a relay with a split 87/87 connection, you only need one relay. My relay is actually different from what is pictured, it has 5 spades (versus the pictured 4). There's the power from the battery (30), the ground (85), the switch (86), and the 2 spades for each ballast (87 and 87).

Make sure when you go and buy your relay, not to get a 87a and 87 relay, because that wouldnt work correctly (1 light on at a time).

I bought wiring loom and zip ties to make the wiring more "hidden". the relay is by my passenger side shock tower.

Well I finally finished up my little relay setup. I spent a lot of time making sure the wires were well connected, had no resistance (i used an OHM meter), and were away from heat sources. I used plastic wiring loom for extra heat protection. Here are a few things I've already noticed...

1. The bulbs warm up WAY faster, like 5 seconds total. I don't even see the blue tint anymore its so fast, whereas before, the lights would get pretty dim/dark and blue right after the initial "ignition", and then take about 30 seconds or so before they'd reach normal temperature.

2. The beam pattern is more uniform, the hot spots are even less noticable.

3. They're brighter.

4. [edit] Its more obvious they're HID's now (before, they were on the yellow side, making it difficult to discern if they were HID's or not).

5. The ballasts are cooler to the touch after long drives (they didnt even get that hot in the first place, just a little warm).

:thumbup: :cool:

I highly recommend doing this if soldering wires and simple wiring doesnt scare you.

More info on Google Cache:
http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cach...tml+mcculloch+wiring+relay+hid&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

1 - 20 of 28 Posts