1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Problemo?
2,294 Posts
not bad buddy. Only a few things that I could see. I would turn in a little later in 3, carry out the sweepers to the outside, you will carry way more speed and it sling shots you into 9. But hey, what do I know? lol.

Overall, very good!

·
Cone Killer
1,496 Posts
I agree with Matt. Not bad laps but you are pinching or apexing too early in some of those corners. Turn 2 and 3 in particular. If you didn't pinch 2 so much you could probably carry the speed and wouldn't have the oversteer issue shown in the vid. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for advice. i'll try to remember that this weekend. that's like the 289402 time ppl are telling me "yer turning in too early!" hehe

for turn 2, i'm going out to about 3/4 on the left close to the merge line then turnin in. hitting apex at the cone...i think it was at the second set of gators and gassing at the apex to get rear sliding out a little and unwinding at same time.

for turn 3, i was hard braking at this asphalt line that runs across the width of the track. i'll try to turn in later to hit the second apex.

how should i entry into 5-6? i've been doing wide entries where u don't even try to hit apex 5, just to try to hit 6 correctly.

i know i'm accelerating into 8 and then having to lift off for 9. i'm thinking if i just cruise thru 8 apex and accelerate into 9 completely, it'll prob be faster.

·
Cone Killer
1,496 Posts
For 4, 5 & 6 I do 4 flat out and have to break enough to downshift for 5. I like to carry some speed into 6, aim right for the entry cone, quickly break and get back on the gas before I go through the turn to keep some weight on the rear wheels and accelerate out.

I basicly hit every apex in the sequence but the last one 6 is a late apex, the entry cone on that one is about right. For the most part the last corner is the most important but you can carry more speed a bit longer if you hit the other corners right.

For 8, the apex cone is about right, you have a lot of time to do that one so stay out wide early on but make sure you are right on the edge as you pass the apex cone. That way you hit 9 correctly. I saw a bunch of guys missing it all together and starting 9 on the inside which is definately the slow way around.

10 is definately a late apex to get ready for that huge straight.

·
Problemo?
2,294 Posts
For 4, 5 & 6 I do 4 flat out and have to break enough to downshift for 5. I like to carry some speed into 6, aim right for the entry cone, quickly break and get back on the gas before I go through the turn to keep some weight on the rear wheels and accelerate out.

I basicly hit every apex in the sequence but the last one 6 is a late apex, the entry cone on that one is about right. For the most part the last corner is the most important but you can carry more speed a bit longer if you hit the other corners right.

For 8, the apex cone is about right, you have a lot of time to do that one so stay out wide early on but make sure you are right on the edge as you pass the apex cone. That way you hit 9 correctly. I saw a bunch of guys missing it all together and starting 9 on the inside which is definately the slow way around.

10 is definately a late apex to get ready for that huge straight.
if you carry 7 and 8 out to the far lane (to the left of the tar line), just keep it smooth and turn in on the horizontal bump(it pretty much carries you to the apex). going through 9 I am full throttle. It's hard to explain but you can see what I'm talking about in this video where I almost hit this civic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUfoOWXATPw

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh wackit is you matt? yea i watched yer vid earlier today and was like OHHHH SHITTTTTTTT!!!

·
Cone Killer
1,496 Posts
Nice! I caught that video earlier on. It is a keeper for sure.

How you did it was what I was trying to explain. It is easier to explain in car where I can point LOL. I showed my student the right way through that and we would instantly be on the bumper of the next car just by doing it right. It was cool because he could actually see and feel the difference between the right and wrong line.

We saw so many people ending up pushing out and starting 9 on the left or inside.

·
Problemo?
2,294 Posts
Nice! I caught that video earlier on. It is a keeper for sure.

How you did it was what I was trying to explain. It is easier to explain in car where I can point LOL. I showed my student the right way through that and we would instantly be on the bumper of the next car just by doing it right. It was cool because he could actually see and feel the difference between the right and wrong line.

We saw so many people ending up pushing out and starting 9 on the left or inside.
lol agreed. I look forward to next year with the new track setup.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Couple tips i would have. Especially for corner 8.

You're turning in way to early on 8. I was told to find good reference points on the track, whether it be a tree, barn, or line on the pavement. Gingerman is definitely a line on the pavement track, because there are few reference points.

Now the trick to 7,8, and 9 is this. In 8 abouth 3/4 way though you'll see a tar line going across the track. Right after you'll see a double tar line, that should be where you're turn in point is. You want to line yourself parallel with the curbing and point your noise towards the grass. Once you think you're about to run off course turn into 9, it's a mid-apex and if you hit it right it'll carry you all the way out to the proper exit. You should be all the way to the right side of the track during your exit. Continue cornering until you're set up for the late apex on 10.

You can see what i am talking about in the vid. You can't really see the lines in the pavement, however you can see how late you should be turning in and how it sets you up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li8Sumhczg4
http://www.youtube.com/user/20CiviC02Si#play/all/uploads-all/0/cuqSulqx8uM

Also pay attention to 4,5, and 6. I made up a lot of time on people through those corners.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
thanks for advice 20civic02si!
Yeah through 8 and 9 i was pretty much flat footing it, with slight lift to help the rear end rotate. My car has understeer issues and i am trying to work those out over the winter.

However in your car you should be about 3/4 throttle into 9 and WOT at the apex. I don't even brake turning into 9, just slight lift like i said.

I think if you were to find the right reference points, and get the line down right. You should be able to pull 1:43's easily. I think your car has the potential to run a 1:40 flat once you really get the track down.

I wish i could have had someone time my lap, however that didn't happen. Comparing my laps to a few other faster cars i would have to say i'm in the 1:44 mark.

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well u got video. that's how i'm timing my laps. white tower on front straight is the start finish line heh.

·
Problemo?
2,294 Posts
Yeah through 8 and 9 i was pretty much flat footing it, with slight lift to help the rear end rotate. My car has understeer issues and i am trying to work those out over the winter.

However in your car you should be about 3/4 throttle into 9 and WOT at the apex. I don't even brake turning into 9, just slight lift like i said.

I think if you were to find the right reference points, and get the line down right. You should be able to pull 1:43's easily. I think your car has the potential to run a 1:40 flat once you really get the track down.

I wish i could have had someone time my lap, however that didn't happen. Comparing my laps to a few other faster cars i would have to say i'm in the 1:44 mark.
Pretty much the same line I take...except I am full throttle through the sweepers and I dont let off. But my car rotates like a dream. I'm fairly certain I went out in one of your sessions and tailed you for a bit then eventually went on by

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.