Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would you recommend that i install my arata slip-on by myself? or would it be advisable to have the shop do it?

i consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined. i've done all modification upgrades to my cars.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
Do it yourself. I did mine on my fz6, and that one is pretty damn complicated.

And you're much more mech. inclined than I am.

Good you got the Arata. Matte black or standard? How much did you get it for?

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
matte black. $714 OTD.

i'm also getting integrated taillights.
That's pretty standard pricing, if not a little high.

Not to rain on your parade...but you keep mentioning that you have hookups with motorcycle parts...but it seems like the prices you're paying for things like tires and exhausts aren't all that great...

Just FYI so you're not getting the run around...

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's pretty standard pricing, if not a little high.

Not to rain on your parade...but you keep mentioning that you have hookups with motorcycle parts...but it seems like the prices you're paying for things like tires and exhausts aren't all that great...

Just FYI so you're not getting the run around...
i got the pilot powers for $150 rear and $105 on the front. my HJC helmet runs about $180. i got it for $140.

and that $714 for the exhaust includes tax. the matte black is VERY expensive. without tax, the matte black is about $699 if not higher.

milpitas motorsports is my hook-up. i bought my 06 600rr for $9500 OTD. they had 05 and 06 1000RRs for like $8500 or something like that.

·
baby buffett
13,382 Posts
damn son 700 for a slip on?

·
Problemo?
2,294 Posts
well i wanted to get a yosh slip-on but everyone said, "oh why don't you spend a bit more and get a high quality arata instead."

it was in this thread: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=474016
why comply to what everyone says you "should" get and just get what you want. I would of rather gotten a full Jardine system for that money. If I went with everyones opinion I would be quite poor...well more poor than i am now...but i would have one kick ass bike, lol.

and yeah, its easy to do by yourself, just a few hours to do. My brother did his slip on for his RR and he barely knows his head from his ass.

·
135i Coupe Owner!
7,962 Posts
Can someone clue me in on what a slip on is? And while youre at it.. what is jetting your bike mean/do?

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
Can someone clue me in on what a slip on is? And while youre at it.. what is jetting your bike mean/do?
slip on is just usually a pipe replacement mainly for sound...not the full exhaust system...kinda like an axleback

jetting is for carbed bikes that need a "retune"

·
'89 'til INFINITY
3,510 Posts
To further elaborate on rejetting:
Most engines will require and increase in intake/air/fuel flow after you have increased exhaust flow (after adding a can).

However, some cans (like D&D out of texas, which included a new mid pipe) dont make a jet change mandatory. I called the factory myself and was told that a jet change was completely unneccessary as long as the can was the only mod.

However after modding my airbox and adding a low restriction air filter I rejetted accordingly.

Most mechanics will tell you that the new bikes are so lean from the factory that any change that makes them leaner (like adding exhaust flow without more intake/air/fuel flow) will leave a potential to hurt the bike buy running too lean.
Also rejetting is for carb'ed bikes. You need a power commander to adjust for Fuel Injected bikes.

·
135i Coupe Owner!
7,962 Posts
ah cool thanks for the info. damn i didn't know exhaust systems (not even full exhaust?!) was so expensive for bikes. aren't D&D exhausts and stuff way cheaper then what the OP got? I'm not familiar with the differences and what makes them so expensive..

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
ah cool thanks for the info. damn i didn't know exhaust systems (not even full exhaust?!) was so expensive for bikes. aren't D&D exhausts and stuff way cheaper then what the OP got? I'm not familiar with the differences and what makes them so expensive..
There's a reason why D&D is called deaf and deafer LOL.

Well, you'll get used to what is a higher quality brand compared to other brands out there. When I started out, I thought the 250 had to be fast because it had 2 exhausts!

People thinking of saving money with gas when hopping on a bike are in for a rude awakening. maintenance, ancillary products like tires, chains, sprockets, gear, etc, really cost an arm and a leg.

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
People thinking of saving money with gas when hopping on a bike are in for a rude awakening. maintenance, ancillary products like tires, chains, sprockets, gear, etc, really cost an arm and a leg.
this is why i plan on doing most of the maintenance myself. i think people who bring their bikes in for an oil change are kind of lazy. oil changes on a bike (at least on my bike), are pretty easy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts