Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I use a Zex Dry Kit on my rsx type-s. A friend is offering me one for $350 including all of the parts. Is this a good deal? He had it in an Integra LS. I heard not to run Dry kits on our cars, but I've also heard that zex dry kits are ok. What do you all think. Thanks

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
you need a wet kit unless you have the hondata programmable unit

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
exactly. You need a $1000 dollar unit, or to do some re-working with some lines to make it work.

Basically, no.

·
Speedy
2,648 Posts
so if i'm half way in with hondata (only $500 to upgrade to hondata kpro) would dry kit cost less since i only need bottle w/valve, heater, lines, jets, nitrous solenoid, ZEX Nitrous Air Amplifier (or standard fitting) & Assorted brackets and mounting hardware, cable ties, grommets, wiring etc?

fyi: w/ kpro i can keep the #4 flash when i'm not spraying so i'm tuned for n/a as well.

Wet or dry?

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
TheSilverBullet said:
so if i'm half way in with hondata (only $500 to upgrade to hondata kpro) would dry kit cost less since i only need bottle w/valve, heater, lines, jets, nitrous solenoid, ZEX Nitrous Air Amplifier (or standard fitting) & Assorted brackets and mounting hardware, cable ties, grommets, wiring etc?

fyi: w/ kpro i can keep the #4 flash when i'm not spraying so i'm tuned for n/a as well.

Wet or dry?
nah, i wouldn't assume so.

when nitrous is engaged, you have a seperate set of settings for everything ( as i understand it ).

so when it is not engaged, you'd have #4, or whatever you choose, and when it is, you can retard timing + such.

·
Speedy
2,648 Posts
what's your opinion on cost - cheaper to go ahead and get kpro and buy only the components i need for dry kit - like everything except a controller....

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
full kit with gauges is probably gonna run you 12-1500.

i believe a dry is gonna run about the same (with heater, gauges, purge, opener), but i've never gotten a dry, plus you need the upgrade for still $500. Not to mention, i think you'll be the first on the boards to have it hooked up (save hondata)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
WarmPepsi said:
nah, i wouldn't assume so.

when nitrous is engaged, you have a seperate set of settings for everything ( as i understand it ).

so when it is not engaged, you'd have #4, or whatever you choose, and when it is, you can retard timing + such.
i didn't know you could use a dry kit on our cars with this ecu upgrade

actually makese alot of sense...optimizes for n/a...and also allows nitrous use through a much simpler and noticeable kit.
also the computer is now set for both uses...optimally
not just mid way to accommodate both

from the sounds of it the k-pro is $500 upgrade from the normal hondata upgrade that alot of people on the board do...and it makes the nitrous setup alot smarter in nitrous and n/a usage
plus there is no splitting into the fuel lines or anything...just drill a hole in an aftermarket intake and plug in nitrous....so when you get inspections you swap to the stock intake....smart
go for it

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
umm, there are a few holes in your logic.

1. with retarding the timing when spraying, you may make it a little safer, but you're not gonna gain any hp.

2. the hondata k-pro can take bigger injectors, i'm not honestly sure how big of a shot the stock injectors can compensate for.

3. You can't just swap the intake. You'd need to hide the feed line, remove the selenoid, purge, and all your underhood lines, and i'm sure the bottle.

4. Unless you're gonna spend a ton of time on a dyno, the only think you'll gain is hondata's #4 when not spraying, and just normal when you are. In my opinion, theres much higher performance enhancers that are well worth the cost at this point.

5. the computer isn't set for anything. You can manually put the #4 program in, but you have to set the variables for nitrous use.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
5. the computer isn't set for anything. You can manually put the #4 program in, but you have to set the variables for nitrous use.

yup...i know that...that opportunity in itself is pretty cool tho

i don't know about all the parts in the nitrous kit..i do know a dry kit is easier to hide than a wet kit
i didn't mean it to sound as simple as changing an intake...on a dry kit the nozzle goes into the intake...so those are joined...then the other parts can be covered...bottle taken out

sidenote on nitrous usage on the streets
i think NY law is that if your nitrous system isn't active you can't get a ticket...or enabled is the word...but i think what they mean is...the bottle should not be in the car on the street
so its a track item

·
Registered
8 Posts
ZEX 75shots Dry

Hi, i have a RSX type-s 2003 Intake/Headers/Full Cat Exhaust/Stock ECU.

any comments or something about this?
im trying to see what reactions or opinions you got there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts