Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
old member
963 Posts
I heard cleaner waxes are not good on brand new cars -- they remove the clear coat. Try to get one that is not a "cleaner" wax. Thats what I heard...

R

·
0 Posts
Zymol is safe to use on a brand new car. It is safe for clear coats. I'll quote the bottle when I get off my lazy ass and get it from the garage. :)

S

·
0 Posts
I've used Zymol for several yeasr and think it's great.

I've used the seperate cleaner and was as well as the liquid and paste cleaner/wax combined. I think the combination products give just as good a result as the 2 step and are much easier.

jm

M

·
0 Posts
Do a search on a thread on Zaino. There is some information in that thread (the group buy one) that will help you decide which product is best. I'm sold on Zaino now and I'm signed up for the group buy. We only need a few more people!!

Anyway, someone did a comparison with five of the top brands (Zymol, Zaino Bros., Meguires, etc.) He posts his results in a link there and it's pretty informative. Good luck.

-K

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read something awhile back that made a lot of sense to me.
A paint cleaner/polish gets your paint clean. It will never be cleaner/shinier than after it is cleaned.

A wax covers the paint to protect. The wax leaves a slight film that will slightly obscure the shine you had before it was applied.
Wax is easiest to apply to a clean surface.

opinion: If you combine the two processes into one, its hard to tell if you have really succeeded in getting your paint clean. Is that faint haze from wax or dirt or old wax residue? I think the two step process is best. However, if you only do step 1 then the paint is cleaned but exposed to the elements, and its a bitch to get both done in an afternoon.

As for Zymol's HD Cleanse. I have used this cleaner several times.
It will get your paint cleaner than you can imagine, however, you have to scrub your paint like crazy to get it off. Zymol claims that it is clear coat safe, but you have to rub so hard that I have my doubts. Plus you had better have clean/soft pure cotton cloths.

I recently tried the Wax Shop's Safe Cut. This seemed to work as well and came off much easier. I have an old car though with warn paint. Not sure if I would use this on a new car. This claims to be clear coat safe, but the word Cut typically implies harsher chemicals.

I tried Mequire's Paint Cleaner. This was not nearly as effective as Zymol's HD Cleanse.

I have not yet tried Zaino.

P

·
0 Posts
I have also had very good success with the Zymol products. I used HD Cleanse followed by an application of their Concourse solid wax. I was hesitant at first to use the HD Cleanse on a new finish with clearcoat but did not have any problems...and MetalOne is right...I needed plenty of soft 100% cotton towels to get the HD Cleanse off. The result was paint that felt smooth as silk...

The whole process was very time consuming... 4 hours Saturday to wash and HD Cleanse, then another 3 hours Sunday to wax.

I'm going to try the cleaner-wax on our SUV...there is no way I'm going to be able to do the 2-step process on it in a single weekend.

If you have the time, I think you will be very happy with the 2 step process.

fmp

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to retract what I said about the Wax Shop safe cut working as well as Zymol HD Cleanse, it is not even close to the quality of HD Cleanse. I had some water spots on my trunk that I tried to clean off this weekend. After two applications of the Wax Shop they were still there. Then I tried Zymol HD Cleanse. This did not completely remove my water spots, but the results were 10 times better. When I was working on the car the difference between what I had used Zymol on and what I had used Wax Shop on was unbelievable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just waxed my car with Zymol Cleaner Wax today. The paint now feels real smooth. However, I noticed that if I run my finger on the paint, it leaves a mark. It's similar to the mark your finger leaves when you touch your monitor screen with a greasy finger. The mark is only visible when you look at a certain angle and under direct lighting. Also, another thing I noticed is that the waxed surface is less reflective. In other words, I can see my face clearer on a NON-waxed surface than on the waxed surface.

Are all these things normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
:D Try Mother's Clay Wax System, I swear by it.... about $15. The best.. then use any wax you want... It gets out everything!

R

·
0 Posts
dysonl said:
Also, another thing I noticed is that the waxed surface is less reflective. In other words, I can see my face clearer on a NON-waxed surface than on the waxed surface.
If your car isn't nice and super shiny after you waxed then you did something wrong. You should be able to see you face just as good if not BETTER after waxing. If this is not the case you did something wrong. Maybe you didn't buff it out all the way or used too much. I'd have to see the car but a waxed car is a shiny car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the reply Rogue!

It was the first time I waxed a car. I don't know how much or how long I should buff it. Could you (or anyone else) give me some advice as to how I should buff and for how long? How do you know you have buffed it enough?

Rogue 5 said:

If your car isn't nice and super shiny after you waxed then you did something wrong. You should be able to see you face just as good if not BETTER after waxing. If this is not the case you did something wrong. Maybe you didn't buff it out all the way or used too much. I'd have to see the car but a waxed car is a shiny car.

R

·
0 Posts
Well when I was using a single step wax like zymol, I apply it with a damp (not wet) clean cotton cloth or towel. After it dries to a haze I simply rubbed it off. There was never much buffing with zymol, it usually wipes off very easily. It becomes harder to remove if you use too much of it. It is hard to buff off use a thinner coat of wax when applying it.

I hope this helps a bit. Apply wax isn't very hard but can be a bit confusing if you are new to it. Post back if you have more trouble.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Rogue,

Based on your response, I think I used too much of it. But it wasn't all my fault, the Zymol web site says to "apply a generous amount" (http://www.zymol.com/onestp2.htm). I guess the Zymol-guy who wrote this knew nothing about their own product or wax in general.

Rogue 5 said:
Well when I was using a single step wax like zymol, I apply it with a damp (not wet) clean cotton cloth or towel. After it dries to a haze I simply rubbed it off. There was never much buffing with zymol, it usually wipes off very easily. It becomes harder to remove if you use too much of it. It is hard to buff off use a thinner coat of wax when applying it.

I hope this helps a bit. Apply wax isn't very hard but can be a bit confusing if you are new to it. Post back if you have more trouble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts