Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wow dude that's for the long post! :thumbsup:
Did you find it gained any more performance? Sound any different? I think it's this one that people said it sounds like needles in a metal tube which surprised me because it's welded
I think you have to put the included "Skunk 2" sticker on to get the full performance benefits. :D I don't know that my butt dyno is tuned well enough to notice a difference between the two headers.

I think it does have a little deeper tone to it compared to the OBX. Right now it's kind-of hard to tell because I've got a motor mount that is going out sending a lot of noise and vibration into the cabin. I'll fix that soon. [Edit: it turned out to be the anti-roll bar rubbing on the header. See the edit in the original post.]

The needles sound is probably the thin wall tubing ringing like a tuning fork as the exhaust pulses hit. It's there mostly when you are accelerating or under load.

I'm doing track days this weekend so I can post some before and after videos so you can hear the difference in sound.

:vtec:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow, awesome post man. Thanks for clearing up some details about it. How do you like the header so far? I'm stuck between this and a DC stainless for my 02, but I think I'll go with this one. Who did you order your header from?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had this installed on my 02 JDM Type R, which is rhd. The install was more or less straightforward. I didn't have to widen the bolt hole as in a previous post here. You can take off the oil filter or the brake line heat shield, I think the oil filter would be the easier way but the guys who did mine took off the heat shield. And the part that everyone is worried about, the sway bar does definitely rub on the header at one place. I used the adjustable brackets and managed to get it to touch a bit less, but it still was contacting. So we did the easiest thing, heated the sway bar and bent it a bit where it was touching, and now there's no contact. As mentioned before, the JDM sway bar is thicker, but also hollow so it was relatively easy to put a small bend on. Other than that, it fit properly and the car definitely feels more responsive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just had this installed on my 02 JDM Type R, which is rhd. The install was more or less straightforward. I didn't have to widen the bolt hole as in a previous post here. You can take off the oil filter or the brake line heat shield, I think the oil filter would be the easier way but the guys who did mine took off the heat shield. And the part that everyone is worried about, the sway bar does definitely rub on the header at one place. I used the adjustable brackets and managed to get it to touch a bit less, but it still was contacting. So we did the easiest thing, heated the sway bar and bent it a bit where it was touching, and now there's no contact. As mentioned before, the JDM sway bar is thicker, but also hollow so it was relatively easy to put a small bend on. Other than that, it fit properly and the car definitely feels more responsive.
That's awesome, how do you like it so far? And true about the Type R sway bar, how much wider is that one compared to the USDM sway though?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well honestly didn't get to run the car properly yet as I wanted to sort out some more stuff first. But can't complain thus far. I do get the "needles in metal tube" sound though. Guess that's just how it's constructed. My car is very quiet due to the muffler barrel that I have, but now it's much heavier from 4000rpm, the engine that is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Installed this header a few weeks ago. Yes u get needles in metal tube sound but its not bad (can barely tell) reduced the jerk when Vtec kicks in yo lol and sound deeper and louder after that. I have a world sport so its not too loud or rice sounding. Besides the slight taps with da swaybar, I love it. Still might try re-adjusting the brackets I got from skunk2. They helped. Or a em2 swaybar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installed Skunk 2 header on my 06 type-s yesterday, After fighting to get header in place,( had to remove oil filter), Drivers side lower lower mounting hole on header flange was not correct. Had to remove header and grind material from flange. Beware when installing skunk 2 header, lined up manifold gasket to header flange before install and it looked ok, soo close but bolt hole did not line up with block holes.

·
Registered
426 Posts
finally got around to recording a video of my setup… with the Q300 full catback. i think the header makes it sound a tad raspy at the high RPM's and off-throttle. would be the only thing I would change. Can't hear that at all while in the car though. Might just be an artifact of the iPhone mic too, i've never actually heard my car drive by in person. The power though, makes it all worth it for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObpkpawECnw&feature=youtu.be

·
CRSX Seen better days
22,287 Posts
Got the header installed last night at my buddies shop. Fitment was alright it's just it does hit the sway bar. My solution was that wrapped that one section where it hits with header wrap, and then I wrapped a small radiator hose on the sway bar so now it doesn't vibrate or bang against it. Really really happy with how it sounds with my custom 3in setup (kteller). No rasp at all and very throaty.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,203 Posts
So, curious: Did you really have the Strup race header prior to this? And it made a sound difference? How about power difference. Good work BTW :thumbsup:

·
CRSX Seen better days
22,287 Posts
So, curious: Did you really have the Strup race header prior to this? And it made a sound difference? How about power difference. Good work BTW :thumbsup:
Thanks man! And yeah I had the strup header before this one. The flex pipe on it broke so I thought why would I spend like $100 to replace the flex pipe when I could just spend a couple more to get a brand new and better header. Power difference I can't really say yet because I didn't really beat on it yet. Just driving it around normally and I'm looking to re torque all of the bolts and check for leaks but so far so good. The sound is actually a big difference to me. It sounds really deep and throaty compared to the strup but even with the strup it sounded good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was considering buying this header, I read this forum and i'm seeing that some people say that it fits with the dc5 sway bar and some say it doesn't. I just want to get things clear before I make my purchase. I also have a k24a2 block with a k20 head I know it sits higher than the k20 so i'm guessing that will make the fitment even more terrible?

2004 DC5 Type-r btw :vtec:
Did you ever get your issue taken care of? I have an 02 type s with a k24/20 and alpha headers. My header hits my sway bar. Bad! I can't install the sway bar with the manifold. Was thinking of buying the em2 sway. Would like your input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If anyone is still using these forums, I installed this header last week on my 04 type s without any issues. I reused spring bolts from the old exhaust and catalytic converter for the flex pipe . I didn't have to touch the subframe, just took off the oil filter. The header cleared my stock sway bar and OE end links. However it did rattle against it on idle and I suspect it rattles all the time but my cars so damn loud that I don't hear the rattling except on idle.

I have the adjustable sway bar brackets that came with my purchase. Today I installed the brackets which have larger than oem bolt holes in the bracket allowing you to slide the sway bar side to side. I was able to slide the sway bar to even the gap between the header and bar on both right and left sides (it already clears the top) enough so there is no more rattling.

If you buy this header now I think skunk2 resolved most of the fitment issues. I did extensive research before buying it and found generally the fitment issues occur with the 05/06 type s and ITR models (ITR has thicker sway). If you have an 02/04, you should be clear. I have all original sway bar and endlinks and I had no issues.

The header sounds very good paired with the ktuned 3 inch catback exhaust. It sounds very aggressive and deep, and also pulls very hard in the entire rev range, but especially in vtec. I think it is well worth the money.

My car runs and idles fine with the Injen Cai, this header and a catback exhaust without any CEL, but obviously I suspect I'm running lean and plan on upgrading to kpro and dyno tune after I replace my slipping clutch.

221 - 235 of 235 Posts